Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

 All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Winter Aloha Camp

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

 
   

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mark Posted - 05/23/2007 : 1:25:09 PM
Aloha kakou -

Online registration is now active for our Winter Aloha Camp, February 3-9 at Kaupoa Beach Village on the magical island of Moloka`i.

I just got back from a quick planning trip with Keola, Moana and Aunty Nona. It's going to be a great camp! I'll post the staff as soon as we have confirmation.

And, for those of you really looking ahead, the summer Aloha Camp dates are June 22 - 28, 2008.

www.alohamusiccamp.com
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ben Posted - 02/28/2008 : 11:24:13 AM
I wound up adding about half again as many pix as I originally posted, including a couple of green flash ones. I didn't mention it here, but I did send a mass email to all the campers; I even sent Karl his own personal full-size copy (much clearer without the compression) so that his wife could see that he wasn't hallucinating. Mahalo nui to everyone for all the kind comments.
noeau Posted - 02/27/2008 : 10:21:37 AM
E. I saw somebodies picture of the green flash. If it was blurry I donʻt know. It matched what I saw me kuʻu maka ponoʻi no hoʻi.
E Wanda plan for next winter. I might sign up again.
Momi Posted - 02/20/2008 : 06:21:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ben

Speaking of pictures, I like yours in your profile, although my wife had a bad experience with what may have been one of your very close cousins in Bali a couple of decades ago. We're assuming that one's bad behavior doesn't run in the family.



Braddah Ed's wife is very nice, so I guess bad behavior doesn't run in his family at least! Ed does monkey around a lot, however.
Ben Posted - 02/19/2008 : 11:25:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Monetti

Ben,
I did not see your picture of the green flash. Do you still have it? It looked exactly like the photo on the McMaster CD of the same name.


I still have it. I didn't post it because it is pretty blurry (1/40th second with a 300mm lens doesn't work well hand-held). I'll email it to you, though, if you want.
Karl Monetti Posted - 02/19/2008 : 8:48:22 PM
Ben,
I did not see your picture of the green flash. Do you still have it? It looked exactly like the photo on the McMaster CD of the same name.
Ben Posted - 02/19/2008 : 3:41:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

[Here's a photo of Aunty Nona from today's Honolulu Advertiser that was taken back in 1954.



Aloha e Braddah Ed, and mahalo for posting that link. Quite a beauty on the outside, too, yah? And you can really see Keola in Aunty Nona's face - the set of the mouth, the cheeks, the eyes.

Speaking of pictures, I like yours in your profile, although my wife had a bad experience with what may have been one of your very close cousins in Bali a couple of decades ago. We're assuming that one's bad behavior doesn't run in the family.
Mark Posted - 02/17/2008 : 3:24:42 PM
Aloha Kakou -

Mahalo nui to everyone who helped make the February Aloha Camp the best ever.

I have posted some of the 1000 pictures I shot when I wasn't running around administering things, teaching `ukulele or guitar, or eating. Mostly eating.

http://www.alohamusiccamp.com/

A hui hou!



Julie H Posted - 02/14/2008 : 8:57:20 PM
Ben,

I like that photo caption of yours about the Ukulele classmates and their mentor. I think of Dennis of the "tor-mentor", he torments me with those beautiful instruments he makes. I have several and they always send me into a tizzy when I play them.

I wish we could all go to camp both times in the year, that way we'll all get to know each other personally instead of as "winter" and "summer" campers.

And Wanda, I'll go see if I can get my photo of the Moloka'i bat in the wine glass with his redeyes clearly showing. What a lush.

Aloha, Julie
JeffC Posted - 02/14/2008 : 7:56:29 PM
Back from camp and snapped back into the work mode (can't feel sorry for myself; I played hooky while my wife held down the fort with kids and work! Ooooo, what a lucky man). Made many new friends this time around.

Mahalo nui to both Nancy and Ben for sharing your photos. Splendid!

The music, the classes, the instructors, as always, were fantastic. The cooking class (or as one friend called it, "the eating class") was oh so ono (Mark are you taking note). Chef Elmer is a great addition!

Aloha no

Jeff
NANI Posted - 02/14/2008 : 5:48:28 PM
Wanda no feel sorry for us the Food was ONO even in foil. did you see any leftovers ? I have the recipes for you. I made mine with no salt and no problem plenty of natural salt in the food. Sonny even went out and got Ophi for us and we had it in our Poke now we are really talking ONO!
NANI Posted - 02/14/2008 : 5:45:15 PM
BRAVO BEN!
Your picturs are wonderful. You said the ferry ride was an adventure now I SEE what you mean. But OH what a Rainbow photo you got WOW. Gee it really looks like we had fun. Guess we just gotta go back again.
Aloha and thanks for sharing your photos!
Ben Posted - 02/14/2008 : 12:01:28 PM
Al, you are way too kind, and the pleasure was mine. I really enjoyed when you and Sonny were singing bits of Kamalani o Keaukaha in the class sessions. You have a wonderful voice to go with your beautiful kika playing and your harmony was perfect.

Andy, mahalo for the compliment. Maybe we need to look into an East Coast contingent combination master class/kani kapila some warm weekend. We're pretty spread out, but I see addresses in NY, ME, DE, VA, DC and li'l ol' me in PA represented here in the patch. Probably ought to have a separate thread for that discussion.

Wanda, mahalo to you, too. Dennis had already applied the fingerboard and frets, thank goodness, precision in the placement being so important and all. Other than that, everything was just rough-cut. It wasn't hard work but it took a bit of attention to detail and then there were hours and hours of sanding during camp with hours and hours more to go here at home before the wood is ready for a finish. I'm anxious to see how beautiful the wood is with a proper finish on it. Dennis really picked out some nice wood for us.

To all my camp-mates and TP 'ohana, if you are ever going to find yourself in the general Washington-Baltimore area, send me an email and maybe we can arrange to get together.

A hui hou
suelou Posted - 02/14/2008 : 11:36:15 AM
I also have my pictures finally ready, you need to e-mail me so I can add you to my "share" list to view them. Lots of waves, sunsets, workshops (no whales), some of Kalaupapa, Halawa Valley & misc Moloka'i pictures.
wcerto Posted - 02/14/2008 : 11:07:02 AM
What great pictures from both Nani and Ben. How wonderful they are and it looks like you guys had a great time. Nani - I love your pictures of No`eau -- the one with the "Got Poi" t-shirt and one of him getting the kaukau. But hey - you guys cheated! Those laulau are in tin foil. Where's the ti leaves? Those brand new `ukuleles look great. How difficult was it to make them? Were the frets already installed? Who is the gentleman who looks like a kahu -- kinda skinny with pony tail? Also like those pictures of Aunty Nona and of Mark Nelson. And those moths are definitely large but I did not see one of them in a wine glass.

Now I am going to have to save my kala for Paul and I to join you guys one of these days/years.

It is priceless that you were able to talk with Aunty Nona and share her wisdom and mana`o.
Admin Posted - 02/14/2008 : 10:20:35 AM
Ben,

Great photos! PA is not too far. Ever make it to NJ or NY?

Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000