| T O P I C R E V I E W |
| Konabob |
Posted - 06/08/2007 : 4:30:51 PM Update Oct. 30th, Read Auntie Maria's post below for EXCITING NEWS! If you have not signed up, do so soon!
November 30th through December 8th are when things will be happening in Pahala!
Instructors: Keoki Kahumoku will teach slack key guitar Herb Ohta, Jr. will teach 'ukulele and music theory Sonny Lim will teach slack key and Hawaiian steel guitar George Kahumoku, Jr. will teach slack key guitar, do storytelling and lead song sessions Dennis Kamakahi will teach slack key guitar, do storytelling and lead song sessions David Kamakahi will teach 'ukulele and lead song sessions Jeff Peterson will teach slack key guitar, songwriting and music theory John Keawe will teach songwriting and slack key guitar Brittni Paiva will teach 'ukulele and lead song sessions. Diana Aki will lead song sessions on songs of the Big Island Leilehua Yuen will teach hula and lei making Konabob Stoffer will teach Hawaiian steel guitar and slack key bass Darcy Baker will teach Hawaiian language and singing Liko Puha will teach chanting and Hawaiian language We have just added the registration form to the website... It is going to be an amazing week!
http://www.konaweb.com/keoki
If you know of a music store or some place where other lovers of Hawaiian music lovers gather, print out one of these posters, and help Keoki get the word out! http://www.konaweb.com/keoki/flyer.pdf[
Those of you on the mainland might enjoy a look at this Google Map: http://tinyurl.com/yt5wfw which shows the proximity of Pahala to Volcanos National Park, and the remoteness of the town of Pahala itself.
|
| 11 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First) |
| Auntie Maria |
Posted - 10/30/2007 : 10:59:28 AM Today's emailed update from Susie Kagami has added two more instructors -- Led Kaapana and <wow!> Moses Kahumoku! Here's the full update:
This December, enjoy eight wonderful days immersed in the culture of Hawaii. Join Keoki Kahumoku, his friends and his family as they share the love, music, language, food and cultural practices of the islands.
The perfect setting for both beginners and more advanced players, enjoy private lessons, seminars, song sessions and kani ka pilla every night, hear the stories and learn the tunings and techniques from some of the biggest names in traditional Hawaiian music.
Keoki Kahumoku - Slack Key Guitar, your host and chef for the week George Kahumoku Jr. - Slack Key Guitar Moses Kahumoku - Slack Key Guitar Ledward Kaapaana - Slack Key Guitar Dennis Kamakahi - Slack Key Guitar & Songwriting Herb Ohta Jr - Ukulele Jeff Peterson - Slack Key, Songwriting & music theory John Keawe - Songwriting & Slack Key Guitar Sonny Lim - Slack Key Guitar and Hawaiian Steel David Kamakahi - Ukulele Brittni Paiva - Ukulele Kona Bob Stoffer- Hawaiian Steel & Walking Stick Bass Diane Aki - Song Sessions on Big Island Songs Leilehua Yuen - Hula & Lei Making Darcy Baker - Hawaiian Language & Chorus Liko Puha - Chant & Hawaiian Language
Your contribution of $950 includes all meals prepared by Keoki, participation in all lifestyle and music classes, day trips, food demos, and nightly kani ka pilla sessions. A companion rate of $450 is available and includes everything but the instrumental, music theory, songwriting and song session portion of the weeks events. Proceeds from this annual workshop go towards keeping these traditions alive for the children of this area. More info about this is on our website.
We only have 9 spaces left, so reserve your spot today! Call us at 415-452-8720. We hope to you can join us! |
| Pua Kai |
Posted - 10/19/2007 : 05:15:54 AM Aloha! This is a request for all kumus: Please have CDs, both new releases and others, so we may do our Christmas shopping in Pahala! Mahalo nui, nancy |
| Larry Goldstein |
Posted - 10/07/2007 : 1:01:07 PM One of my life long dreams is to see live lava, so I track this site, especially when planning a trip to the BI.
http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/hvostatus.php
Larry |
| Puna |
Posted - 09/25/2007 : 1:47:28 PM Be aware that right now there is no flow to the ocean, and there is no flowing lava that is accessible for viewing. The only flows are completely off limits.
Of course, even without actively flowing lava, there is a great deal to see in Volcanos Nat'l Park.
And, who knows...by the time camp starts, Pele may be visiting the ocean again. |
| Pua Kai |
Posted - 09/21/2007 : 05:49:50 AM Aloha Elaine - been hearing rumors - may run some shuttle from Hilo and Kona to Pahala - let them know when you're coming in and out - therefor save money on car. Will have some excursions from camp - - I want to see the lava flow too. Maybe get ahold of Keoki or KonaBob and see what current thinking is. This is way far ahead for Hawaii-style planning, of course. n |
| wcerto |
Posted - 09/21/2007 : 03:44:25 AM I dunno anything about the camp, but you have got to experience the volcano. There is such mana. I cannot put into words the feelings I had, lookiing at what first glance would seem to be desolation. But it is not desolation and destruction. You are witnessing creation! As far as your eye can see, there is lava, pahoehoe and a`a. You see the colors of sulfur laying upon the cooled lava. And then you see a crack in the lava and a tiny fern starting to grow, starting the life cycle. When you gaze upon Halema`uma`u you KNOW Pele still resides there.
Please do whatever you can to get to the volcano. |
| Elaine |
Posted - 09/20/2007 : 9:41:17 PM I'm all signed up for camp, but I'm wondering if there will be time during camp to go visit the volcano....or should I add a few days to my trip? Also, once I'm there, will I need a vehicle? |
| Pua Kai |
Posted - 08/30/2007 : 4:42:19 PM Oh Julie!!! It won't be the same without you... but I guess we'll get over it. Wish you were going to be there, Girlfriend!!! See you soon, hopefully Aloha!!! |
| Julie H |
Posted - 08/29/2007 : 6:56:19 PM Waaaahhhhh!
I'm not that far away except in dollars. This is one workshop I wish I did not have to miss.
Keoki, I'm so glad you are doing this, but I'm jealous!
Aloha, Julie |
| rendesvous1840 |
Posted - 07/02/2007 : 2:20:18 PM Konabob: That's not really so far from either Hilo or Kona. It's the mainland that's far away. By the time I fly 10 hours from Cleveland to Honolulu, and transfer to Big Island, the drive around the coast doesn't look so bad anymore. By the time I get to Pahala, I'd be ready to stay put for 2 weeks, and never look at a car/airplane/bus the whole time. Paul |
| naukilo |
Posted - 07/02/2007 : 12:02:28 PM Two additional teachers to Keoki's Camp will be Dennis Kamakahi 12/2 - 12/8 and David Kamakahi from 12/6/ - 12/8.
Dennis will be teaching songwriting and traditional Hawaiian songs and their history and their meanings.
David will be teaching beginning, intermediate, and advanced ukulele. |
|
|