Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

 All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Aloha to all of my friends from Kahumoku's camp!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

 
   

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Konabob Posted - 12/09/2007 : 09:09:59 AM
Just wanted to thank all of you who talked, sang, played, chanted and spent time with me at Keoki's camp. I am going through my photos and videos, remembering the many wonderful moments from last week. Since I didn't get a chance to take that many photos, I am hoping to get a few from some of you...

I will put together a collection on Keoki's site ( http://www.konaweb.com/keoki ) in a few days so we can all enjoy the memories. I would especially love to get a photo of the large 'Io that blessed us.

The weather was a little rough for a few days, but in a way, it helped bring us all together in a special way.

Thanks Keoki and Nadine, and all of you who made the week so special for me.
-Aloha,
-Konabob
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Keoki Kahumoku Posted - 02/14/2008 : 4:10:52 PM
ALOHA EVERYONE!!! Sorry for not being in the loop for awhile but so many wonderful things have been happening for us here in Hawaii as well as abroad. Mahalo to all of our teacherʻs for sharing their manaʻo over the past yearʻs at our Kahumoku Music & Lifestyleʻs workshop on the Big Island. Our annual boasted over 130+ students from around the country, japan, etc..with 15 of Hawaiiʻs bestess instructors. We had some amazing things happen that you just canʻt explain with words. You definitely have to be their! From beginners taking on their first song to Aumakua coming to visit and see what all the excitement was about. When you spend 10 days with people you really get a true feeling of ʻOhana. Like any ʻOhana we faced challenges that helped to build some wonderful friendships. not to mention all of these unauthorized JAM sessions weʻve been hearing about!

Anyways, I am pleased to announce that we are holding a mini workshop in Kaʻu on the Big isle on March 16- 21st. Iʻm so so excited because weʻve got a great line up of instructors coming to join us. Uncle Kimo Hussey, Sonny Lim, Darcy Baker,Kona Bob & myself(Keoki) will be sharing for 4 days and then weʻre giving a FREE CONCERT featuring our teacherʻs as well as Aunty Diana Aki, and memberʻs of our KAʻU community( gifted entertainerʻs too!)

If you get questions, post um for me here ahda wise, check out www.konaweb.com/keoki or www.hawaiimusiclive.com/keoki


Konabob Posted - 01/21/2008 : 4:45:28 PM
Teri! Thanks so much for the great photos... I am so looking forward to Keoki's next camp in March. Darci is such great teacher, and so much fun to be around.
Kimo Hussey is a really fine 'ukulele instructor, and is very patient with beginners... another Hawaiian musician that I have always admired.
Aloha,
-Konabob

wcerto Posted - 01/21/2008 : 2:16:10 PM
Teri - very nice pictures. Looks like a fun and productive time was had by all. Great pics of Konabob, Dennis, George, Keoki, Herb, Liko, Leilehua, Sonny, Diana and all da rest.

Appreciate you sharing the photos. Mahalo.
Teri Posted - 01/21/2008 : 1:15:25 PM
I just made a web page for the pictures we took at camp. Some of them are very special, especially Darcy Baker playing the Walking Stick bass with KonaBob.

http://web.mac.com/teri851/Site/Welcome.html

I will send this link to KonaBob as well.

Mahalo
jmk Posted - 01/05/2008 : 3:49:27 PM
Mahalo KonaBob,

As usual, you've got the scoop!
Aloha
Konabob Posted - 01/04/2008 : 07:18:41 AM
Thanks Jeri.
I just talked to Keoki on Wednesday. He says the dates will be: March 16-20 with a free concert at Punaluu Black Sands Beach Park on Friday the 21st. He will give me a list of instructors later today, and I will put them on the web site http://www.konaweb.com/keoki. Brian Tolentino is going to join us for the March camp!
Aloha,
-Konabob
jmk Posted - 01/03/2008 : 6:41:58 PM
Mahalo KonaBob for the excellent steel guitar lesson in Pahala.

Has the date been set for March? I had such a great time, learned so much and met new people. It was a high-point in my year. I want to try to get there, if it's possible.

Aloha,
Your haumana
kapuamakamae Posted - 12/28/2007 : 2:24:19 PM
Aloha kakou,

Mahalo piha ia Keoki and all of the teachers and staff who made the workshop such a delightful and educational experience for us all. It was beyond wonderful, and I can't wait until the next one. :-) I was pretty focused on learning, rather than photographing the experience, but I did get a few choice shots, including a superb group shot of most of the slack key instructors. :-) And Konabob, I have a good one of you and Sonny Lim playing steel guitar together in front of the fireplace. I'll try to get them uploaded in the next few days.

Mahalo again to all of the outstanding instructors and great friends old and new from the camp!

Me ke aloha pumehana,
Kapua
kahealani Posted - 12/27/2007 : 9:55:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm posting a link to some pictures of Keoki's camp. Enjoy!

http://www.brittnipaiva.com/keokiscamp-dec2007.htm

Brittni had such a great time at the camp. So many new and familiar faces.

Kahealani is Brittni Paiva here on Taro Patch.

(This is LeAnn - Brittni's mom) I'm helping her out by posting this for her.

Thank you so much,


Konabob Posted - 12/20/2007 : 07:25:50 AM
Hi Genaro,
I remember your smiling face out there on the front porch! I just added the lyrics to "Kona Hotel" to my web site: http://www.konaweb.com/konabob Thanks for asking for them.

I know what you mean about play without paper. I can't remember lyrics very well, either. My beef is with people who become dependant on their eyes instead of their ears for the chord changes.
If my eyes are telling me what the next chord is rather than my ears, what does that say about my relationship with my instrument? If I know the lyrics for the song, I should be able to look at the audience when I am playing, and they will appreciate me for relating to them instead of to a piece of paper.
I am sure you know what I mean. I saw you and Sil look up smiling, quite often while you played.

I have been to 3 of Keoki's camps now, and for me, each one has been better than the last. I do hope to see you and Sil again. I have a brother in San Jose, so maybe I will get a chance to see you on your home turf sometime.

Aloha,
-Konabob
GUke Posted - 12/19/2007 : 9:14:45 PM
e Konabob,
Just wanted to wish you Happy Holidays. And my Mahalo to you for making Keoki's camp special for me. It was plenty fun trying out your "walkingbass". It definetly is an add to my musical instrument wishlist. I also appreciated your musical explanations and hope to someday achieve "lose the paper" level. It's a bit difficult when you've gone from zero to 100+ meles -- not only English but Hawaiian lyrics. But as another friend pointed out, when you perform the audience could get weary looking at the top of your head. Another musician also recommends that if you use the "crutch" --songsheet with music stand-- and you're playing an instrument, try to keep the stand low so the audience can see you play the instrument. Thanks for your wonderful song. I'd like to add it to my repetoire if I can remember the melody. And should ever I perform it, I'd have to talk story about the composer.
It's raining in the SF Bay Area, and now whenever there's rain memories of Keoki's Pahala Camp will be another silver lining. Thanks to all the kumus. Some with little experience in teaching new subjects e.g. the song writing still overwelmed the class talking story of the mele they wrote or performed. And it was great to see all -- kumus and students -- sharing knowledge, playing music together, just talking story or even sharing Kumu Dennis's ride with UH's perfect college football regular season.
I'm looking forward to a future return. Got lots of practing to do--learning ukulele pics and strums; singing Hawaiian correctly; playing slack bass . Hope I can remember some of the points from classes and private lessons. Future camps won't be the same as the first, but probably another special wonderful time.

Aloha,
Genaro (Sil's Bruddah)
Konabob Posted - 12/17/2007 : 2:42:34 PM
More Photos (Thanks to Peter and Melinda). I added them to the slideshow on http://www.konaweb.com/keoki
Nice photos, including a rare kitchen shot of a Grammy Winner sneaking a bite of food, and two photos of Herb Ohta, Jr. not wearing an aloha shirt!
How lucky can we get?

Aloha,
-Konabob
Julie H Posted - 12/16/2007 : 5:51:05 PM
SO BOB!

Now I really will have to practice that steel, but wait! I just got a good deal on a Rickenbacher Fry Pan on eBay! OK, OK, no more excuses, I will get to it, and maybe I'll surprise you. (Or not) Every time I see a Weissenborn on sale I think of you...

Keoki's camp sounds just so magical, I really wish we could have joined you there this year. But mother-in-law passed on last April and Larry and I are dealing with her house and guardianship for Larry's developmentally disabled sister, so we've had our hands full. Not to mention our son who needs horrible surgery on his spine and neck sometime soon. No insurance, so we get to ante up.

Did you get to meet our friend Kapua? Really gorgeous, sweet redhead? Very talented too.

Maybe next year, aloha, Julie
Konabob Posted - 12/16/2007 : 07:55:17 AM
Aloha Dennis,

I wish I had a photo of that hawk! It really was a moment that captured the spirit of the camp. Actually, what I see in my mind's eye is you looking up at that beautiful bird.I also want to thank you for coaching me on the coral singing. Darci's coral singing class opened up something in me that I haven't experienced since small-kid-time.

And, of course I got a real kick out of watching people light up when they got their hands on a Hawaiian steel guitar, or my Walkingbass. I got a call from the mother of one of my steel guitar student yesterday. She wants get her daughter a steel guitar for Christmas. That phone call was one of the best Christmas presents I could ask for. (Julie, next time I see you, I am going to ask you to play some steel guitar for me... fair warning!)

Nadine Kahumoku tells me that the 3 day workshop in March is a go. People can write to her and she will send out information when they have the plans together.
Her email address is on http://www.konaweb.com/keoki

Andy, it would be great to get you out here! Pahala is really a specal place, and yes the Kahumoku Ohana never fails to nourish it's campers. This year was thebest ever! Because Pahala has amazingly rich soil, they grow wonderful fresh organic produce here. Keoki & friends made homemade sausage this year which was hard to resist. Even for us vegetarians. A local rancher donated some beef, and local fishermen came by and gave us some excellent fish too. But as Brother Dennis points out, there is a spiritual quality and a kindness to the Kahumoku's camp which grows and grows. I think that it is that quality which people remember about their experience. I am so happy to be a part of it.

-Konabob


naukilo Posted - 12/15/2007 : 12:42:09 PM
Aloha Bob,

It was great spending time with you and all the instructors at Keoki's Pahala Camp. This year I had to learn and memorize the Pahala Chant being my first time in the morning circle so I was a haumana too and enjoyed it very much. Even the choir practice at night brought me back to my high school days at Kamehameha Schools with the song contests and Concert Glee Club practices which I was involved in 40 year ago. It brought back great memories.

Kumu Liko set the whole day off on a positive note during the morning chant sessions and everything seem to fall right into place as the day would progress. Keoki, Nadine, and the whole kitchen crew kept the camp well fed and morning ho'okupus would find it's way at the back door of the kitchen with produce, fish, and donations left by sometimes anonymous people.

Probably the most chicken skin moment was being summoned by Auntie Kaiwi who informed me my aumakua, Ka 'Io (hawk), was on the electric lines above the yard where the morning circle was each morning. After a prayer to my aumakua, I left with a feeling that this is a special Camp unlike all others I have taught. It is both musical and spiritual. Very rarely found in Hawai'i today like the ancient halaus of Hawai'i long ago.

Each night when we all sang the Doxology before dinner, the presence of God was felt in the room. Wherever we praise his name, the blessings will be there and the pathway is opened to the answers we seek and the aloha in our hearts pour out to each other.

After dinner on Saturday as we all said our farewells, there was still a feeling that no one wanted to leave. It was the mana left by all of us saying that this is our halau. It is our place of refuge. It is our home.

To Kumus Liko, Darci, Herb, Keoki, George, Moke, John, Auntie Diana, Bob, Brittni, Kohala, Jeff, Leilehua, and Kupuna Kaiwi, mahalo for the sharing of your knowledge and the personal stories of the Hawaiian Way.

Until next year, may the blessings of God flow through all us and may we all meet again to further our learning of Hawaiian music and increase our Hawaiian spiritual unity.

Aloha Ke Akua (God Is Love),
Kahu Dennis Kamakahi


Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000