Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

 All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 MAUI-KAHUMOKU ʻOHANA KIHOALU & UKULELE WORKSHOP

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

 
   

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Keoki Kahumoku Posted - 03/04/2008 : 04:52:45 AM
JUNE 15-22, 2008. Better check out this line up folks! On MAUIʻS NAPILI BAY! RATED AS ONE OF THE TOP 3 DESTINATIONS TO VISIT!

Weʻre in the Heart of West Maui at THE MAUIAN Hotel once owned and operated by the Aluli ʻOhana. Truly a "local feel" atmosphere. Relax on da beach, just steps from da ocean. You can even cook your own meals if you like in your room or you can join the Kahumokuʻs for some unforgettable GRINDS. Many meals are created by my Dad or myself or our extended ʻOhana (sorry, not a place to diet). And if you came to my room , We had Big Island macnut/avo/papaya fed smoked Pork, Char siu, Kalua pork,and homemade Smoked Portagee sausage...den my cousin showed up and you know we had to fire up dat grill for some thinly sliced teriyaki venison. I know people was smelling dat stuffed ʻUhu wit lup cheong. mayo, onions, fresh Kula cherry tomatoʻs wit oysta sauce topped with celantro fresh roasted mac nuts and hot peanut oil! Da poi from my dadʻs Kalo patch in Kahakuloa that the students got chance for experience, and ley me tell you dea is nothing like fresh poi. I even when make poke but had to hide dat one cause da vegetarians lie! dey lie and eat my all my fish! Auwe. Sorry , I converted one back to the meat side. She when eat da smoke pork and now she stay call every otta month. Iʻm telling you!!! mountaing pig da besses! No hormones, no-anti-dis or dats. All natural. Sorry back to da WORKSHOP!

ʻOhana is the key to what we do. Many of our students have also become our extended family because of our workshop. At our workshop...we do things together, not just the classes but many things all together, teachers and students alike side by side. FOOD, clean up, set up, FOOD, clean up, rest, Food, clean up pass out! My Dad and I, well our goal is to give you a little taste of what life was like not too long ago or even how we live today. Music is important, but not the Most! Try think now???hmmm.. why do we have music? most times for a gathering or one party?!ok? What you need for one Party??? Food. What you gotta do wit dat food??? well, first you gotta plant um or grow um or store buy um, den you gotta prep um, cook um, den you gotta serve um. And den da HArdest part, you gotta eat um, hopefully all or else gotta feed the waste(slop) to da pigs den I gotta eat da pig later...but see how it keeps going on...den when you all pau eat, buss out does instruments and letʻs kanikapila. That right there was my training ground for music..sit down and observe. Easy for osmosis, if your stomach stay full den you can fill your brain and hopefully all dat information will touch your heart so, you can take that gift and share it with someone elseʻs heart!

You know we live in such a wonderful time? Music , especially Hawaiian music was guarded against outsiderʻs. To think the people of the past was so worried about someone stealing their music and calling it there own,which Iʻve seen happen, and still happens till today(just not pono). I guess too many of our people had enough taken away from them, like their rights to gather or even their land or homes taken away. Maybe thats why they may have tried to hold on to it so tight, that it was getting squeezed right out between their own fingers till wow..almost no more? Luckly Weʻve had some of the greatest teachers/friends/Ohana that have shared with us and instilled in me the need for what we do.

Myself as a teacher, Iʻm here to give people some hope! why? because I know what its like to start out knowing nothing. 1990- I knew how to hold 2 chords. I neva even know the names of those chords. I struggled for the first 8 years of my career trying to better myself. When I finally realized, the real reason for me to learn was so I could teach others to better themselves. 2 of my students, Garrett Probst and Peter de Aquino...Started out with me when they were 7 and 10 years old. Now they teaching Ukulele, headlining/ performing all my old gigs on Maui and are 3 time Grammy Award Winning Artists. Look Britni Paiva...she was already very talented before we met. She was 14 or 15? Now sheʻs got 3 Albums??! Most promising artsit- NA hoku Hanohano Award Winner! and gonna be Married! whoa...Students like these have been coming to our workshops sometimes on full scholarships by private donors just to participate and to have an opportunity to sit with some masters. I do hope that they can take these blessings and make it into something. I do these workshops to be there for all you future students. And to you new players out there! keep it up! Find someone to share with the information you already know! Feel the need to share!! Sometimes itʻs not the instrument, you understand? sometimes itʻs the player..( that could be good or bad however you want to look at it!?!)

www.kahumoku.com

if you have any question about workshops post it here and Iʻll try my best to answer!
KK


15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Julie H Posted - 04/21/2008 : 8:50:24 PM
Keoki!

OK, every time we arrive on Maui, we've got to stop at Costco for the beverages. Not only that, sometimes they have Ono and Ahi! I've got to get my fill, so I buy da cooler and fill it with ice for the drive to Napili Bay, safe in the knowledge that some Kahumoku or other will give it a loving home after we're pau...

OK again next June? Or is your garage full allready?

Julie
wcerto Posted - 04/21/2008 : 07:09:36 AM
He is a harmonica player extraordinaire. Can find him on you tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9api6tQEA
Pua Kai Posted - 04/21/2008 : 05:22:29 AM
OK, I give - - who's Norton?
Keoki Kahumoku Posted - 03/25/2008 : 12:00:43 PM
Auntie Julie is da bomb besses too!! Evare yeea for da pass 3 or 4 yeeas, I have been the" keeper of coolerʻs past". She always get surprises too! Eh! all you Aunties...b nice. no swipe my coolas till i stay all pau. kden liko
Keoki Kahumoku Posted - 03/16/2008 : 07:34:13 AM
Very, very cool...we all have a little banshee in all of us. The more they drink, the betta I sound! Mic da harp? hmm...that may be a question for da buffalo?
rendesvous1840 Posted - 03/14/2008 : 4:35:35 PM
Still got the Original Milhaus Mouse, too, but not sure where.
Paul
wcerto Posted - 03/13/2008 : 03:14:29 AM
I remember that! Oh, the banshee wailing of the chick who was singing, and the LOUD harmonica! Matter of fact, I cannot hear "Someday Soon" without thinking of that harmonica. Wonder why Judy 'Collins never thought of that?

Just think - if McGovern hadda won, there would have been no Watergate. No Halderman, Erlichman, Mitchell and Dean. No Sprio T. No impeachment. Wow. We still have that McGovern poster in the desk somewhere.
rendesvous1840 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 5:50:07 PM
I seem to recall playing harp behind a girl singing Someday Soon at our apartment long ago. I think she was making a demo tape or something. Halfway through, her boyfriend handed me a mike, so I thought he wanted more volume. He had the headphones on. Too much harp for the mix. That was a long time ago; they all worked for the George McGovern for President Committee. Way back in the B.C. (Before Children)
Paul (None genuine without my signature)
rendesvous1840 Posted - 03/12/2008 : 4:33:26 PM
That Buffalo dude can play the harmonica! Wow. Should one amplify one's harmonica? How does one keep from getting feedback? How close is too close?
Edit: Hey! I never wrote them words. Wanda put some words in my mouth again. Paul
Keoki Kahumoku Posted - 03/12/2008 : 08:12:43 AM
Wow, I neva know Norton Buffalo was coming!?! cool!!! I is gonna bus out my harps too!!! Aunty Cathe- wasamada you? I told you when you smell ʻum? you gotta come get ʻum. Right on! for all of you booking early...thatʻs a safe thing to do...no worries, if gotta ?you can sleep on my lanai with my cousin Lopaka.
catheglass Posted - 03/11/2008 : 8:08:25 PM
E Julie:
Jump inna pool wit' all clothes on? Why, yes. . . . and the swimming pool hula was pretty fine also. Let's make it an annual event, since you nevah let me fo'get it, yah?
Looking forward to seeing all our friends in June - E Keoki, I be parked in front of your room, and nevah know 'bout da smoke pig? Hunh. Be mo' diff'rent dis yeah!
Mahalo kakou. . . .
Auntie Maria Posted - 03/10/2008 : 1:55:07 PM
Ooops...I hit that "post" button too soon!

Here's the tentative schedule she's emailed:

Saturday, June 14: Location: Mauian Hotel, Napili
Noon: Set up tents at Mauian, load in, volunteers welcome.

Sunday, June 15: Location: Mauian Hotel / Kahumoku Hale at Lei’ali’i, Lahaina)
9am-noon Morning trip to Kahumoku’s house in Hawaiian Homelands in Lahaina
12:30-1:30 lunch
Leisurely afternoon in Napili; Registration at room 118
6-7pm WELCOME DINNER George, Keoki, Norton, Jeff, Daniel
7-10pm Kanikapila, (Group jam under the tent)

Monday, June 16: Location: Mauian Hotel
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, Norton, Jeff, Daniel
12:30-1:30 lunch
1:30-5:30 classes: lei making, hula, lauhala weaving, singing, and some instruments
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm Kanikapila

Tuesday, June 17: Location: Mauian Hotel
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, Norton, Jeff, and Daniel
12:30-1:30 lunch
1:30-5:30 classes: lei making, hula, lauhala weaving, singing, and some instruments
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm Kanikapila

Wednesday, June 18: Location: Mauian Hotel & Napili Kai Resort
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, and Norton
12:30-1:30 lunch
1:30-4 FREE TIME
Dinner on your own
7:30-10 Masters Concert at Napili Kai Beach Resort, (located next door to the Mauian) featuring George Kahumoku, Keoki Kahumoku, Dennis Kamakahi, Herb Ohta Jr, Norton Buffalo

Thursday, June 19: Location: Mauian Hotel
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, Norton, Dennis, Herb, and Ozzie
12:30-1:30 lunch
1:30-5:30 classes: lei making, hula, lauhala weaving, singing, and some instruments
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm Kanikapila

Friday, June 20: Location: Mauian Hotel
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, Norton, Dennis, Herb, and Ozzie
12:30-1:30 lunch
1:30-5:30 classes: lei making, hula, lauhala weaving, singing, and some instruments
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm Kanikapila

Saturday, June 21: Location: Mauian Hotel
6-7am PREP LAULAUS FOR DINNER-ALL INVITED TO JOIN!
8:30-12:15 classes: George, Keoki, Norton, Dennis, Herb, and Ozzie
12:30-1:30 lunch
1:30-3:00 classes: lei making, hula, and some instruments
3-4pm Whole Group Rehearsal for Sunday (Uke, Guitar, Dancers) George, Keoki, Herb, Norton
6-7pm DINNER
7-10pm FINAL Kanikapila

Sunday, June 22: Location: Mauian Hotel & Maui Arts & Culture Center
8:30 Group picture by the pool, informal group song practice (wear your Workshop T-shirt)
9:30-11:00 Rehearsal by the pool
11:30 Lunch
12:30-1:30 Carpool to Maui Arts & Culture Center (MACC), Kahului
2-7pm Annual Maui Slack Key Festival at the MACC
(Kahumoku performance time 2:00; students will come on stage for 2 songs)
Afternoon & dinner on your own
Most students check out and depart after the MACC show on Sunday and Monday

Monday, June 23: Location: Mauian Hotel:
The Day After
8-10am evaluation session near Mauian Ohana room (optional attendance, everyone is welcome)
10-noon - Dismantle tents and break down (of equipment!!). Volunteers welcome.
Auntie Maria Posted - 03/10/2008 : 1:53:48 PM
If you want a registration form ASAP, email Nancy via their website and she'll email one to you:
http://www.kahumoku.com/workshops.htm
Julie H Posted - 03/09/2008 : 7:06:55 PM
Jim,

My address is....Oh, I'll email it to you.

Thanks for the check with real $$.

Julie
garson Posted - 03/08/2008 : 5:18:30 PM
Aloha Keoki,

Connie and I have got our plane and Mauian reservations all ready. Can't wait to get there. Anybody out there who hasn't gone just has to try it

Thing is I want to send George and Nancy a check, but still no reservation form on the website. This is a check with real money in it! This is the best way I have ever spent my money and I want to do it again as soon as I can.

Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000