Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Questions about Ric Fry Pan
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  05:33:01 AM  Show Profile
I use tuner buttons from stewmac.com. They have white plastic and ivoriod. The white plastic are the easiest to put on. Item number is #0113. If you want the original "vintage" look. I can send you some that I removed, that are in good shape. I removed a few sets from bakelites that I re-furbished. ( I save a lot of "stuff") Email me you address and I'll donate you a set. Changing a set is easier than replacing one knob, which will not match the others.

Aloha BILL
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  2:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bill, that's a very kind offer, thank you very much.

My friend Patti Maxine, who is one heck of a steel player, told me she had some buttons replaced, but they were snow white and looked very out-of-place on her vintage guitar. Then she laughingly told me she considered picking up smoking just to give her tuners that yellowed look....

Julie
Go to Top of Page

kamalu70
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  2:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Send kamalu70 a Yahoo! Message
Just some thoughts on this vintage tuner issue. If it's just the plastic button that needs replacing, some other posts here have given you the sources. If you don't want that one button to look out of place on your vintage frypan cause it's so pristine, there are ways to "age" the look of it. Some vintage guitar restorers soak the buttons in a diluted solution of idodine, the stuff you put on cuts and scrapes. Others scuff them up a bit then rub them with brown shoe polish. I've never tried either method before, but I would assume both would require some experimenting to get the shade just right. My first steel guitar was also a vintage long-scale Rick frypan. It came out of the back corner of a friend's closet. It belonged to his father and when he pulled it out, it hadn't been touched in like 20-30 years. The tuners on it were shot when it came into my possesion. Not only the plastic buttons, but some of the gears were fairly stripped too. I just bought a new set of tuners for a slot-head guitar and installed them. I just wanted the guitar to be playable. I ended up having to redrill the holes on the mounting plates of the new tuners, because they did not match up with the machine screw holes on the guitar (you don't want to redrill the holes in a guitar of that vintage and great historical value). If you do this, make sure you save the old tuners and stash them in a safe place. You now have a totally playable guitar that stays in tune. If sometime in the future you want to sell the insturment, you will still have all the original parts that some collectors are very anal about. A note about lap steel parts on eBay: I've been on eBay for years, starting during the time when you could pick up pristine vintage lap steels for very little money...when there was very little demand for them. Of course, it's all different now...hard to find "bargains" anymore. I've also managed to pick up some very obscure lap steel parts over the years...like pickup covers for a Fender Stringmaster, knobs for a Rick bakelite, etc. The trick to that is you gotta be patient, persistant and a little bit fanatical. These things do come up every once in a while on eBay. You could check the site every day for months or years at a time (hey...I've done it...lol), or set up and fine tune your search/alerts so you are notified if something specific you are looking for is offered for auction.

keep sliding,
kamalu
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  7:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ron!

Talk about a tardy response to your questions! Today I was showing this Fry Pan to a friend and he mentioned he had never before seen such a fine specimen. Which turned me back to discussions about string gauges and such, and I ran again across your questions here.

This Fry Pan is a 6 string, long scale, with a decal on the headstock. "Los Angeles". But I'm not sure what you mean by this "slot" in the headstock. It has a bakelite bottom, in perfect condition, black markers, all there, no finish that I can tell. The pick-up has a chrome plate around it, but I suspect it is not the original. Two buttons. Tone and volume, I think. No fret board cover.

And I just love it. I really need to practice more and take some lessons. I'm having trouble with the ghosts when I play any steel, I gues that will go away with practice. I would love to learn more about this Fry Pan, but did not get a whole lot of info from the lady who sold it to me, except that it belonged to a man who played in a band and had passed away. He must have so loved it, and took such good care of it, that it looks like new!

Thanks for your input. Your questions made me pay more attention.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  8:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I tried to post a photo of this gorgeous thing, but had no luck. Can someone help me with this, or is it that I have to go through Mr. Admin???

I tried a simple copy from window to window, but came up with this huge image that I'm sure noone wants to see. So far I have not learned the formula for posting photos on TaroPatch.net.

Sheesh, and I'm a computer pioneer, but I'm not comfortable or swift with newer applications.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  09:21:01 AM  Show Profile
I can't help with that 'puter stuff, 'cause I'm a relic from the past. But I sure would like to hear it, as well as see pictures. Got sound files coming, too?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  01:49:55 AM  Show Profile
Here are pictures of Julie's Ric Fry Pan. Now like Paul said, all we need to do is hear it. Eh, can put on You Tube, yeah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the pic, Wanda. What a gorgeous instrument! It looks like it's in amazingly nice condition. Yes, let's hear it too!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  06:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I got a chance to play that lovely instrument a couple weeks ago. A wonderful sound, and Julie... I talked to Geri Valdriz by email a couple of days ago. His A6th tuning and my G6th tuning have the same intervals except for the bottom string, so I felt right at home with your guitar. Make sure it doesn't stay in the case. Get a stand and keep it out where you can see it. That way you will play it more often. That baby was made to sing! Since it came to you, there is a good chance that you are going to help it fulfill that goal! I can't wait to hear you play in February.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  07:53:38 AM  Show Profile
It is indeed lovely. I'd give anything for a 7 string version (they made them). I believe that either Bobby Ingano or Jeff Au Hoy has one. Play well!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  10:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Um,

I guess I do need to practice it, but it will be a while before any sounds are sweet enough to post online...

Julie

Thanks for the photo posting, Wanda!

Edited by - Julie H on 10/30/2008 10:03:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  12:14:47 PM  Show Profile
You are quite welcome, Julie.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  5:10:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

Um,

I guess I do need to practice it, but it will be a while before any sounds are sweet enough to post online...

Julie

Thanks for the photo posting, Wanda!

Remember - keep it smooth and go easy. It'll come. As my dad always said (and I drove my kids crazy with it) "The more you do it, the better you get."

keaka
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  5:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Bobby has a frypan, but he normally leaves one string off of it,on the bass end. I think it was actually an 8 string, at least as Rich intended it. He may have more than one frypan ,as well as other steel guitars. Bobby is fun to see live, as he likes to do funny little things like sound effects in various songs. Most players do sound effects, but Bobby looks to see who noticed them, and grins like Red Skelton, laughing at his own jokes. 'Jus good fun! And what a player!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  4:50:25 PM  Show Profile

Those old frypans that Bobby and Jeff use were originally 6 string. I modified two for Bobby, to a seven string configuration. Jeff has a six string also. Bobby also uses an 8 string bakelite , with the base string removed. He just likes seven
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000