Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Best steel guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  07:00:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

As promised, but a day late, here's the C6 string gauges I use for my 8 string steels:
G - .021
E - .014
C - .018
A - .020
G - .024
E - .030
C - .036
Bb - .040 (A - .042)

OOPS!! I REALLY should check before sending - the top G is .012. Dyslexia strikes agian!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  12:50:34 PM  Show Profile
I use similar string guages as slipry1 on my '50s Fender Dlx 8 [single-neck]. I tune to E6 though; the additional string-tension works for me tone-wise but does make bending behind the bar harder. <edit>: Don't confuse me for knowledgeable or expert in this...

Edited by - basilking on 08/15/2008 12:51:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  7:43:30 PM  Show Profile
I gave my Rickenbacher Silver Hawaiian and my long scale Fry Pan to a luthier to check out and restring. Since I am an amateur on these instruments, I relied on this luthier's knowledge. He restrung both guitars with a standard set of some brand name, but after playing them a little, I find I'm not satisfied with the sound of the higher strings. They wimp out and just don't ZING.

For an A6 tuning, I'll be looking for more appropriate string gauges, and since I know so little about these, does anyone who plays A6 have info for me?

Mahalo, Julie
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  06:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Julie, Jack uses the same guage strings as C6 for A6, he just retunes from (low to high, I know it's backwards for some, but you can't take the Bluegrass out of the boy) CEGACE to C#EF#AC#E. Thusly, 2 tunings for the price of 1!
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  06:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Julie, I have been using this set - http://www.juststrings.com/jps-7300.html
It is relatively inexpensive, and the top THREE strings are plain steel which gives you less of the bar noise.
You might want to give it a try.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  07:24:05 AM  Show Profile
hi julie,

on my Harmos I am tuned to A6 using the same string gauges Rick Aiello told me about for c6:

E = 0.016 (or 0.017)
C = 0.018 plain
A = 0.022 plain (or 0.020 plain)
G = 0.026 wound (or 0.022 wound)
E = 0.032 wound
C = 0.038 wound

anybody know where to find a chart showing all the chords possible for hawaiian steel in A6?

I am practicing from Kumu Geri's book and playing along to his CD.

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  08:26:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by brooklyn

hi julie,

on my Harmos I am tuned to A6 using the same string gauges Rick Aiello told me about for c6:

E = 0.016 (or 0.017)
C = 0.018 plain
A = 0.022 plain (or 0.020 plain)
G = 0.026 wound (or 0.022 wound)
E = 0.032 wound
C = 0.038 wound

anybody know where to find a chart showing all the chords possible for hawaiian steel in A6?

I am practicing from Kumu Geri's book and playing along to his CD.

e Brooklyn! It was good to meet you at Wolftrap! On e-bay right now you can get the Jerry Byrd book with 2 CD's. It has it all. This is how I learned to play "Sand" and "How'd Ya Do" and get into the B11 tuning, but it goes through E7, A6, B11 and C6/7/13 tunings. It's a must for anyone wanting to play Hawaiian steel. You can also get it from Scotty's Music in St. Louis. Jerry used this material when he taught in Hawaii. The result was the Byrd's Nest - Greg Sardhina, Alan Akaka, Casey Olsen, Bobby Ingano (although he hung out with Feets Rogers a lot), Owana Salazar, Paul Kim and Jeff Au Hoy - quite a list! Noeau checked the e-bay guy out. There are not bootlegs. He got a couple of cases of the books at a music store closeout in the DC area, and he's dribbling them out. It's
http://cgi.ebay.com/JERRY-BYRD-Instruction-Course-LAP-STEEL-GUITAR-Hawaii_W0QQitemZ180276816992QQihZ008QQcategoryZ38100QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  6:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jack,
I notice none of the string gauges mentioned are heavy at the bass end. A normal six string set would go up to .052 or higher, but your lowest strings are only .042s. I have my homemade Weissenborn strung with a set of heavies; .016 up to .056. I also have a round-neck Regal resonator with the same heavy gauge strings on it. Do I have it all wrong?
Oh, and the e-bay link said page could not be found. Sounds like i need that book, as there are no instructors within 9,000 miles of here.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Monetti

Jack,
I notice none of the string gauges mentioned are heavy at the bass end. A normal six string set would go up to .052 or higher, but your lowest strings are only .042s. I have my homemade Weissenborn strung with a set of heavies; .016 up to .056. I also have a round-neck Regal resonator with the same heavy gauge strings on it. Do I have it all wrong?
Oh, and the e-bay link said page could not be found. Sounds like i need that book, as there are no instructors within 9,000 miles of here.

That's because the lowest string on my 8 strings is the Bb just below the C. On my B11 tuning, the bottom B is an .060. On my pedal steel C6 neck, the low C is an .068, because it lowers all the way to an A. As for the Byrd book, try Scotty's music in St. Louis. It's a great source for all thing steel. Scotty is the one who labeled Jerry Byrd as the "master of touch and tone". You just have to keep at it on e-bay; the book comes and goes - things are only up for 4 to 5 days. As for lessons, for me, that is one of the main reasons I go to Oahu - to take a couple of lessons from Alan Akaka, who's a great teacher.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000