Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 Ukulele Bass -- no jive!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  07:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
At the recent Wine Country Ukulele Festival I had the great pleasure of meeting Owen Holt and playing one of his `Ukulele basses.

Because of the size, fretless neck and strings, I assumed that he'd simply cannibalized an Ashbory, but Owen set me straight. He makes the string out of polyurethane (Ashbory strings are silicon), uses custom made Hipshot tuners & K & K pickups, and builds them out of great looking wood. Heck of a nice guy, too.

They are beautifully made, and sound HUGE. I didn't buy one, though I was sorely tempted. (Maybe if I'd made more at the festival???) But I did buy some strings for my Ashbory.

If you are looking for an cool addition to you bass or `ukulele stable, or simply want to amaze your ukulele group, check out the `Ukulele Bass.

http://www.bassuke.com/

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Owen or Road Toad Music. But hey Owen, need an artist endorsee??

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  06:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage
Aloha,

Just joined this online community and was clicking around to familiarize myself when I cam across this "uke bass" topic. Interestingly enough, we have one. A very good friend and supporter of my children made and gifted one to Quinn. He's just learning to play it with the help of big brother Timi. Plugged in the thing sounds like an upright bass, NO KIDDING, it really does! Ours has a very different feel than the Road Toad. The neck is slimmer and more comfortable for Quinn's little hands. My children all have a ball playing it, and can you imagine how much easier it is to carry the uke bass rather than hauling an upright bass to gigs? Quinn carries it in a ukulele backpack case and he's only 6.

~Lanet
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  10:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Man I would like one. But, I just got onw MYA/MOE for xmas. So Iʻl be playing resonator instead of Bass for now.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  2:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Road Toad Music has teamed up with Kala to create a much less-expensive version of their bass ukulele ($600 list, which should put it down around $400 retail). You can see it demonstrated here (bad sound):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3IUSd5c6VM

It should be in stores around April.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/09/2009 3:02:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000