Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tab w/ Lyrics?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jschjol
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  07:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know where to find slack key music which includes tab as well as lyrics? Haven't seen any yet in my brief search.

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  1:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I think I've seen a few floating around but for the most part the slack key pieces that have been tabbed out (and I'm talking true tablature here, not chord sheets) are meant to be played as instrumentals. There are several resources for chord sheets, and several more for just lyrics. If you search the forums you should find them easily.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/11/2009 1:28:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  6:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Peter Medeiros's forthcoming books have them.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

jschjol
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  03:53:59 AM  Show Profile
Now that I think of it, I would guess that most of the songs in the most common books out there are actually instrumental versions of songs w/ words. So you could find the lyrics somewhere and be ready to go?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  05:24:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jschjol

Now that I think of it, I would guess that most of the songs in the most common books out there are actually instrumental versions of songs w/ words. So you could find the lyrics somewhere and be ready to go?

Good iddea! Get a copy of "He Mele", with words & chords, then use your tab on guitar.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  05:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by jschjol

In theory, but the instrumental versions have the melody as part of the arrangement, so you'd then be competing with that melody as you sing. Generally I think you're better off singing with a strummed version of the song for this reason (and others), unless you rearrange the tab to remove the melody. I could be wrong though.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/12/2009 05:56:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

jschjol
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  05:58:45 AM  Show Profile
I see your point - you could probably mess around with the arrangement to do a little melody while there's a break in the singing.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile
John,
Here is what I do (sometimes). Learn the song from a good tab arrangement. Get to know where the melody is. Determine the key signature for the tab you used. Find a chord chart and the words for the song. If it is not in the same key, convert the chord chart to the key from your tablature. (You can also work it the other way around and add a capo to the guitar but it doesn't always work well, for many reasons.) Then look up the chord shapes for the tuning you are using (see this web site's tuning applet http://www.taropatch.net/tuning_applet.htm and draw those shapes in above the chord names.

When you perform and sing a song it is often more difficult to play a difficult fingerstyle (slack key) arrangement at the same time that you sing. Use the intricate tablature arrangement as a nice intro, a nice bridge, a nice melody interlude, and a nice outro -- just not while you are singing. When you are singing, just play a standard fingerstyle arpeggio (or pattern) around the chord you drew in and just change the left hand chord when you need to. Strumming works but can make the performance sound "choppy" -- going from fingerstyle to strumming and back. Concentrate on your vocals -- that is what your audience is listening to (at that point) anyway. When you are not singing, go back to the nice instrumentals to fill in the space left by no vocals.

From what I can tell, that's what many of the pros do anyway.

In all, have fun!
Mike

Edited by - Mika ele on 05/12/2009 1:44:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  1:46:20 PM  Show Profile
The other way is to hand write in the words and the chord shapes to your tablature arrangement from a matching key chord chart. Then perform as my last post.

Go to Top of Page

jschjol
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  08:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Michael - that is some really good information.
Go to Top of Page

feoli
Aloha

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  12:20:11 PM  Show Profile
I posted in 2/07 - and was looking forward to his books then. Any idea when they will be out?

Frank E Griffen

Frank E. Griffen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000