Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 the best field recorder...cheap.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  10:33:36 PM  Show Profile
packing light....and hopefully right...if you don't count the 3 instruments.

I gotta take the plunge for a somewhat durable, throw it down field recorder for upcoming music camp.
So far, I'm seein' Tascam DR 01, DR 07, and Yamaha Pocketrak2G as the best options.
All coming in about $199.
That seems good, although less would be nice.
and leaning toward DR01.
Who's got some thoughts on this?

This is actually a recycled old topic ain't it?!

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  01:34:16 AM  Show Profile
Look at the Tascam DP-004 too. Down side for you could be it does not have a limiter (or reverb) but it can do 1-4 tracks, has a reference metronome, and has good track editing capabilities.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  05:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
For a "throw it down field recorder" the Zoom H2 rocks at $150.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  06:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Gordon,

I agree with Fran. The Zoom H2 is best for buck in it's price range AND it is very light. We have one and I nearly bought another for myself, but I got the H4n instead (twice the price and more than twice as heavy), because it can do 48V phantom for professional mics.

Your should also read Mark Nelson's review of these kind of widgets, which is excellent. You can search this site for the link(s).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/26/2009 06:32:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  10:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
The bottom line is that the best field recorder for you is... the best field recorder for you.

Every dang one of them makes great recordings, so the bigger question is one of personal style and comfort level. The H2 is certainly the cheapest... and the Sony D50 is my take on the best all-in-one field recorder out there, but if you aren't comfortable with the user interface, you won't like either one. Take some time to look at the manuals.

And here's that link again: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/audio/portable-recorder-comparison/

I posted some thoughts about the Pockettrack G2 here sometime back, so search for that, too.

Good luck.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  1:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Mark, your comparative reviews have been very helpful. I've forwarded the details to several people, some of whom used the information in your pieces as a guideline; they all had different needs in mind, and every one of them has been pleased with their choice.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  06:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
What Mark said/says. My personal vote is for the Olympus LS-10, which has served very well as both field recorder and (compared to an iPod, somewhat hefty) personal audio player.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  06:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I failed to add that I ended up with the M-Audio Microtrack 24/96, largely due to a heftily-discounted price for me. Now ... I just need to get around to USING the thing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000