Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ray Kane video...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  11:15:19 PM  Show Profile
My hat's off to Bruce Lamb productions for getting some good teaching videos out.
I just bought the Ray Kane video...
I'm really taken with all the tunes of interest and Ray's contributions to slack key.
While production time and considerations to getting Ray recorded required a not so fancy or polished production for Ray or Bruce...I feel it's important to get these great contributors to slack recorded, and not always wait for the optimum recording circumstances.
And the tunes are a great chance to do some good traditional tunes and learning by sight and sound...if you've got the basics in pretty good shape.
Pua Sardinia (it's his, and I see that Makana used it as Ray created it)...
a good basic to tackle by jus' watchin' and listnen'.
and then all you gotta do is 'jus press.

Hi'ilawe
and several more traditionals and originals...both vocals and instrumentals.
I recognize at least 2 instrumentals that Ozzie based his tabs on...essentially verbatim...and that's a pretty big complement coming from Ozzie.

While Ozzie tends to be a polished player...it's interesting to see how a good basic finger style ( 2 and occassionally 3 fingers) player has innovated and contributed in playing and compositions.
And it's great stuff to tackle...with the visual...and a chance to break away from the tabs, while seeing most of Ray's fingering and hand work...(This was not a 2 camera shoot, but as a player, Bruce captures alot with one camera.

While the "sit down and shoot" video is just a tad folksy...like sitting around the kitchen table with Uncle Ray...
and the guitar sound (and tuning) is not a perfect 10, the ESSENCE is there...and I'm glad to have it in time to study for camp. Bruce knew it was important to get some of these things recorded and available, and not wait till "all things were perfect".
We have too many artists who didn't leave enough of their "secrets".

I'd delayed buying this addition to my large collection...now I see that Ray is more important than I originally realized, and I'm glad to have it...like a private session with the master.

Thanks Bruce, and also to Ray for sharing.

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  04:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
That video is distributed by Bruce but it was actually recorded years ago by a student of Uncle Ray's who, if I recall correctly, was a businessman who wasn't able to spend a lot of time with Uncle Ray in person. He had a friend with a recording studio who owed him a favor, however, and so Uncle Ray agreed to record some of his songs onto video so the businessman could study and learn them on his own time. The video was eventually made available on VHS and then Bruce got permission to make it available on DVD. In any case, this explains why the production values and camera work aren't up to Bruce's usual standards...it really is a private session with the master!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/26/2009 05:47:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  05:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
As much as I value the high production values and careful instruction in the various teaching videos like Patrick Landeza's and Keoki Kahumoku's, this video with its casual back-and-forth conversation and relaxed playing is the one I come back to over and over.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Gordon,

Thank you for reminding us about this video and Fran you are spot on. I have been feeling like I've been getting a little sidetracked and been wanting to get back to some basic slack key. Gonna go home a pop this video in tonight.

Refreshing to see a topic like this. Feels like old times.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  10:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Bruce told me years ago that he has more video of Uncle Ray "in the can" but needs to confer with Auntie Elodia on releasing them. But then again, Bruce hasn't been doing many new slack key DVDs lately either.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000