Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 POG recipe?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  10:10:11 AM  Show Profile
We here near Amish country are growing desperate for pog. We have found passion, guava and orange juices, but are looking for help with proportions. Anybody know the secret? Kinda short notice, but we're doing a Hawaiian-theme birthday party Saturday and it would be nice to offer up some pog for our friends here. Mahalo in advance for any kokua.

Mālama pono
Ben

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  11:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
I'm not sure what kinds of juices you located, but POG is mostly Guava juice and orange juice. Very little Passion fruit because it is overwhelming. There is no secret recipe or ingredient. Just mix to taste. To start, try 3 parts guava-2 parts orange-1 part passion. Then adjust to suit your taste. Back around 1970, I was the "tester" for POG. My mom was hired as the product consultant for Haleakala Dairy on Maui and we had Guava and passion fruit (lilikoi) in our yard. I think she used Exchange Orangeade mix for the orange part. So I suppose you might say she "invented" POG. She also wrote a recipe column in the Maui News. Sadly, she suffered a stroke about 2 years ago and has trouble speaking and reading now.

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  2:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui loa David! That helps so much. There is nothing that some TPer doesn't know about! My wife & sister-in-law also send their thanks, as will my daughters when they find out. We're pretty anxious to start experimenting.

Small world - I used to live not too far from you in 2000-2003. Shared the same zip code. I was on Pumai'a Pl just off Lumi'aina in Waikele.

Again, many thanks!

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  5:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Ask thumbstruck - one of his favorites is POG and Hana Bay Dark rum!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  3:11:41 PM  Show Profile
Actually, the ULTIMATE shave ice is Lilikoi, Pineapple and Guava. Hana Bay Rum only accentuates the flavors.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  3:38:41 PM  Show Profile
We found that 1:2:4 (P:O:G) is perfect with the juices we bought (GOYA brand guava & passion nectars). We did a very successful blind taste test with our daughter. "Where did you find POG????"

quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Actually, the ULTIMATE shave ice is Lilikoi, Pineapple and Guava. Hana Bay Rum only accentuates the flavors.

Oh great, now another longing/craving sets in! Hey, Wanda, are you happy with the shave ice machine you got?

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  11:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Ben - the machine itself if fine, but the syrups I bought to go with it are not the most authentic. I bought them on purpose, though, because they are sugar free flavors. But the actual shaver does make light and fluffy snow. It is amazing to me how little ice you need to get a nice pile of shave ice. We will see how it works for a crowd this Sunday when we have family over for a Father's Day Steak BBQ and kanikapila. I know there is a web site where you can order better flavors. I think Nani posted it. I am going to look through the archives for that when I need more syrup.

Oh, by the way, it came with little petrie dish sized plastic bowl thingies, maybe 2 in. thick to freeze and make nice flat ice for the machine to shave instead of cubes, but it can use cubes, too.

On sale about 20 dollars at Target.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  09:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Hey Ben the one that I use is called the Back to Basics Electric Ice Shaver I got mine at the Kitchen Store and I saw it in Target for 19.99 I gave up on flavors and now use mostly fruit juice. I tried ordering flavors but they were not very good. But the save ice is good.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  09:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Timely subject. I returned from Kauai last month, and Jill's favorite new drink is POG, with a splash of Capt. Morgans Coconut rum.

I use Kerns Guava juice, 90%, a splash of orange juice, and a tiny splash of Lilikoi juice.

With enough rum, you can't tell the difference from what you get at Big Save.

Just sayin'

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  10:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Wanda & Nani - Thanks for the leads on an ice shaver. Gonna have to experiment. I see a trip down the artificial flavors section of our favorite grocery in my near future.

quote:
Originally posted by cmdrpiffle
With enough rum, you can't tell the difference from what you get at Big Save.

With enough rum, there are too many things to mention that I can't differentiate, but here are some (feel free to jump right in)

My left foot & my right foot
Up & down
Fun & obnoxious
Rhythm & spasms
Virtuosity & ineptitude
The left eye view & the right eye view

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly