Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian Heritage Bracelets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  09:54:43 AM  Show Profile
I have seen some beautiful gold bracelets, wide bangle style, with "Ku`uipo" written on them, primarily in a gothic style lettering. From what I can find, these are called Hawaiian Heritage Bracelets, but I wonder what that means. After all, no gold or gold smelting/refining in Hawai`i that I know of. I've even seen little, little girls wearing the bracelets. They look so heavy that a little girl must be weighed down. I have read about all the gold jewelery that a lady from India frequently has -- the inheritance she gets from her parents is put into wearable gold so she can always have it with her for safeguarding and for having readily available if needed.

Is it really a true "heritage" thing or made up by some malihini who wants to peddle jewelry to the tourists?

Why my ku`uipo no get me one? Hah? Must be because they cost as much as one brand new Taylor geetah.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/24/2009 11:07:00 AM

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  10:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Hawaiian Heirloom Jewelry's history dates back to England during the Victorian Era, when Queen Kapiolani and Princess Liliuokalani attended Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1887. At the Jubilee they were presented with precious solid gold bracelets, with their names cut out in Old English Lettering filled with black enamel. The Queen and the Princess were so enraptured with their unique gifts that they had similar bracelets made for other Royal members upon their return to Hawaii.

Thus, a legacy was created and it lives on today, stronger than ever. Hawaiian jewelry is often given to celebrate milestones; birthdays, graduations, weddings and anniversaries, an heirloom that is passed on from generation to generation.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Maybe you buy him one Taylor Guitar and he buy you one bracelet.

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  12:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, da old buggah came home just now with one Taylor 314CE. I think maybe he gonna have to buy me lots and lots of jewelry to make up for this. Too bad he wen spend all our money and all our kids inheritance. Good thing our crappy old house is paid for.

But it sure sounds pretty. Nice and mellow.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  3:20:00 PM  Show Profile
That Taylor is worth a few bracelets. My wife never asks, "Why do you need another guitar?". She lights up with joy and says, "Ah, more jewelry". I find it to be an amicable tradeoff.

BTW: I've had a 314 CE for many years. It's my workhorse. Don't tell Paul that if he puts out a couple hun more he can put on a Corian bridge and saddle, and refret to Gibson High tips, he'll really have da bomb. We'll keep that between us.

dog

Wag More. Bark Less
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile
Corian is for countertops. Not for geetahs.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ho`opulelehua
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  4:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Auwe! What I wouldn't give for a crappy old house, paid for or not. A new guitar and jewelry, maybe someday.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage
Aloha,

Wanted to thank Derek so much for that fabulous bit of history. That is so wonderful, I didn't know that.

Auntie Wanda, they also offer these bracelets in silver, making them much more affordable. They are so very lovely, I know you would enjoy having one. They even offer them at the several mainstream stores jewelry departments for very reasonable prices. That could be one of your adventures when you come in August!

Much Aloha, Lanet
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:37:58 AM  Show Profile
A bracelet for Liliʻu can be viewed in the basement of ʻIolani Palace. A lot of the Royal Orders may be seen there too. They are works of art as well.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 06/25/2009 10:38:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:41:43 AM  Show Profile
No need choke bracelets, just get the 100000 mm one that goes from your wrist to your elbow :).

Ho'okani

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  10:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage
Yeah, the children and I refer to those big ones as "Wonder Woman Bracelets". LOL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000