Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Behringer ADI21 active DI/preamp...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  4:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered a Behringer ADI21 from Guitar Center on 11/17/12 expecting a 2-3 week delivery as stated on their website. After 4 weeks I called to find out what happened to my order. The next day GC told me it had shipped. The following day I received an E-Mail telling me my order had been cancelled. I called again and GC said I could be put back on the list in my original order and expect shipment in March. I told them no thanks. This is the first time I’ve had poor service from GC after many successful past orders. I then ordered the ADI21 from Amazon, based on Uncle David’s recommendation. It arrived in a week.

Any musician who’s ever plugged into a P.A. system or amp, especially with a passive piezoelectric pickup, has observed less than ideal acoustic reproduction. Myself and many others use an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI to remedy this situation. Although the PADI is well worth it’s $160 buck ticket, it’s out of the price range for some. For $38 bucks, less than a fourth of the price of the PADI, I ordered and received the ADI21.

The package was well constructed to protect the ADI21:

Initial visual and physical observations show the PADI to be more robust in construction in heft, feel and controls. The PADI is heavily constructed of metal and the ADI21 is heavy plastic. The potentiometers on the PADI are smoother and feel more precise. There is no notch filter on the ADI21, like the one on the PADI, but the ADI21 does have parametric EQ to set the midrange control. It’s pretty obvious from the color scheme that the ADI21 was built as a competitor to the PADI. The ADI21 has the addition of a built-in footswitch to go between direct and active signals:

Both the ADI21 and the PADI have ¼” inputs and outputs, along with a balanced XLR output. The PADI has the addition of an effects loop:

The battery holder of the PADI is more stout and feels like it will last longer than the battery holder on the ADI21:

Plugging my Ovation/Applause UAE20 into the ADI 21 through my Roland AC-33 proved the ADI 21 to be a nice active DI box. It was able to get a natural sound from my UAE20 with plenty of boost in reserve for the combo. The LEVEL on the ADI21 is like a master volume and the blend is like an input gain when rotated clockwise. Counter clockwise on the blend control gives the dry signal of the ukulele:

In summary, the ADI21 gets the job done well for it’s price. If you’re on a budget, you will be pleased with the sound and functionality of the ADI21. On the converse, if you can afford the PADI, it’s more versatile and built for road abuse. If I’m playing a gig where another musician needs an active DI, I’ll loan them the ADI21 and I’ll use the PADI. Both work well, but the PADI has a definitive edge. Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!

Edited by - ricdoug on 12/26/2012 8:28:25 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice review. Thanks for that!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  12:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review Ric. I just ordered one, based on your write-up. Good solid reviews on Amazon too. I ordered it along with a K&K Sounds Western Mini pick-up, for my Taylor GS-Mini. The K&K gets good reviews also. I play out just a handful of times a year and didn't need to spend a lot on a pre-amp.

Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  8:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a very interesting pickup system using 3 passive piezoelectric buzzers, Ukrazy:

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Western-Acoustic-Guitar-Pickup/dp/B000P5OULA

http://www.kksound.com/products/puremini.php

The Behringer ADI21 is the perfect partner to that for your described application. Ric

Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  06:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to installing the K&K pick-up system in my guitar. Couldn't be happier with the performance of it. It's easy to install as long as you can stick your full hand into the sound hole and reach the bridge plate. K&K's installation instructions make it harder than it has to be though. They have you installing each of the three pick-ups one at a time. I found this method to work really well and installed all 3 pick-ups in one step. http://www.frettech.com/kk/index.html
I played the guitar straight into an amp and it has enough output to not need a pre-amp. Then I ran it thru the AD121 and the sound quality difference was night and day. You can adjust out all the nasty piezo quack, and it does a good job of bringing back some acoustic sound. The sound of the guitar is nicely balanced between strings and the bass responce makes my Taylor GS-Mini sound like a "big boy" guitar.
The AD121 is a nice piece of equiptment for $38.00
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  4:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice review on the triple transducer K&K pickup system, Ukrazy. Sounds like a successful operation. With the ADI21 and it's parametric EQ' you'll now hear how well it it works with different amplifiers and P.A. systems. Ric

Go to Top of Page

lat21north
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  2:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E Ric and Krazy, here is one other little variation on pickups and preamps: I installed K&K's classical guitar pickup under the bridge of my Takamine 132 series. The classical version consists of four dot-type transducers. Not wanting to run a low level signal to a remote preamp, I first tried hooking the dots into the Takamine's internal preamp. But the output from the dots was lower than that of the previous under-saddle piezo, and by the time the gain was cranked up enough to compensate, there was nui hiss. So the next step was K&K's Pure Preamp, the one designed to be clipped on your belt. With a little drilling and cutting it fit in the Takamine Preamp cutout. Works fine and by using the existing opening, there is no need to mount separate battery and volume hardware. Someday it would be fun to compare the sound quality to the Baggs or Behringer. Thanks for your evaluations and ideas. Bill

E holo mua
Bill
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  07:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a nice set-up Bill. After a few months, I'm still impressed with the K&K pickup. Along with the ADI21, I like the adjustability of sound, over the factory Expression system on my other Taylor.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  11:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been awhile, but interested in these as possible pre-amps for fiddle, with a pickup. I currently use the old Countryman (they don't make a "Kapila-Man"), and it's mostly OK.

Active and sorta an industry standard...when I don't use mine, soundpeople often have Countryman pre-amps. But if it helps my sound, coooool. Really neeed some EQ before the board.
Without buying an expensive violin, which doesn't really do the trick in big stages, and is a worry for safety of the instument, well EQ can either make you sound like Paganinni of Maui--or Dog-Boy of Brooklyn. And even an expensive violin can sound lik (how do you say, "Doo-Doo" ) without proper impedance and EQ!
Which rhymes I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  07:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ADI21 handles a wide range of instruments and has a lot of tonal adjustments, all at a low price. Behringer also offers a BDI21 for bass guitars, giving a nice active D.I. box addition for bass players:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/373652-REG/Behringer_BDI21_V_Tone_Bass_BDI21.html

I'm still a fan of the LR Baggs Para Acoustic D.I.. It has more versatility, a notch filter for feedback control and more tonal options, at $140 bucks more in price. The ADI21 is a great value. I own 1 LR Baggs Paracoustic D.I. and 2 Behringer ADI21's. I always use the PADI and loan my ADI21's to other musicians playing music with me. Ric

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000