Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Ernie Ball Aluminum strings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  5:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone tried these? I have always preferred Elixir PBs, but I'm willing to try these if anyone has positive feedback. I have a Taylor K12, koa and Engelmann spruce that just doesn't project, even with mediums on it. I love the way it plays, but would like more volume, particularly trebles.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  06:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Elixir PBs too. Never tried the Ernie Ball but lately have been using D'Addario EJ16 PB. They are not coated.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  07:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These have been discussed on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=342277
http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=322660
http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=338402

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a very similar guitar (grand concert,koa,engelmann) from a different company. I usually put Elixir 80/20 light gauge on it.
A couple of other comments.
Engelmann is pretty soft to be running mediums for any length of time at standard tuning. If you are always in a slacked tuning it should be fine.
Andy's idea of uncoated strings is worth a try. Some people swear that coated strings sound dead.
In general, I would not say that string material of the same gauge will have that big of an effect on volume (projection). The mass of the string is what determines the volume. You may want to have a luthier or good guitar tech check for other reasons for low volume. A badly done saddle or an UST can both affect volume a lot.

Hope some of that helps.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  1:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'm always in Taro Patch F or open C. I've used Elixirs for so long I don't think I can do uncoated. BTW, the Elixirs sound fine on my 814CE. Maybe it's just the small body of the K12. I'd suspect the koa, but I heard a David Gomes 12-fret all koa a couple of weeks ago and it boomed. I'm headed to the guitar shop to talk setup. This guitar is 10 years old and was purchased used. It wasn't cheap, so I expected more. My fault, though. I played it for three weeks in the shop before I bought it.
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  5:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be tough to get the volume out of the K12 that you get out of the 814. Possible but tough. I have plenty of volume in mine but the luthier is known for that.
I have talked about setup on this guitar, specifically string action above the frets, to both a very good guitar tech and the luthier himself and both of them warned me not to lower the action too much as it severely affects tone and volume. We fingerstylists like to have low action but if it goes too low, the guitar is starved of energy input. Just something to keep in mind when you talk setup.
Good luck and let me know how it works out. I am interested in how these smaller body guitars hold up in slack key (that is mostly what I play, small bodies I mean, slack key is pretty much all I play).
Dave

Edited by - salmonella on 07/18/2014 5:33:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2014 :  06:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just use D'Addario lights, bronze. A luthier told me years ago that even a Dreadnaught only needs lights. It's easier to play and less stress on the top. I've tried coated strings on others' guitars - interesting. Comfort comes with the familiar.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000