Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 tonal woods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a sustainable Martin acoustic guitar and for several years have been trying to get this guitar to have less of an irritating treble sound. Changed strings to med on the the trebles, action adjusted. Finally, it occurred to me that the sustainable woods do not have the rings and the tightness that the regular woods do. So this guitar is not aging well @ all. It bothers me so that I dont even play anymore. I do use my travel Taylor. But that has a canned sound. Ok for camping and being on the road.
Well my husband said it is time for a new guitar cuz he likes hearing me play. I am looking for a nice smooth , rich warm sound which brings me maybe to Mahogany or Koa . But also doesnt the wood used in neck add to the sound?
I thought I would ask those who have played for awhile and have better experience with guitars than I. I also find that not all guitars are good for picking . My Martin is better for strumming and it is ok in standard tuning but not in Open G or Dropped C.
I do not perform. I just want a good guitar to play in my house that sounds good even when I sound bad ! I am older and dont need a real wide body guitar as it is hard on the shoulder. I dont want to purchase a guitar that I cant test and hold ...
Any suggestions would be helpful
Mahalo,

Judy

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  4:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Judy! Check with Noeau (Al Tringali) about that. Also, Baritone (Uncle Herb Kai) near you. Take your "irritating" Martin and bungie it to your stereo speakers for a while. Slipry1 (Jack Aldrich) told me that Martins are famous for going through a "crummy" period a few years after original purchase. Hope this helps. See you at "Live Aloha" in a few weeks!
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  4:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al was my slack key kumu when I lived on BI. I know Herb also.
Al said it would sound mo betta with one pick up . Not sure. Mahalo

Judy
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  4:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al was my slack key kumu when I lived on BI. I know Herb also.
Al said it would sound mo betta with one pick up . Not sure. Mahalo

Judy
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2014 :  1:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that on a level that most of us can tell, the sound of a guitar is based much more to how it is constructed than on the woods used.
My recommendation, having done a lot of guitar shopping, is to start by finding out what size and configuration of guitar is comfortable for you to play. I play grand concert size mostly because my shoulder appreciates it. But I also prefer a slightly wider neck.
So, find a few stores locally that have a bunch of guitars. Don't worry so much about make,model,woods etc. Take a notepad and play as many as you can paying attention to comfort and ease. Typical things to note are; body size/shape (OM,dreadnought,small jumbo,oo,ooo) cutaway vs not, width of neck at the nut, finger spacing at the saddle, 12fret vs 14 fret neck, scale length.
While you are at it, if you hear ones you really like you can write down the wood combo and maker also but it might not help later.
Next figure out a budget. If your budget is high enough, you can get the perfect guitar first time. The lower your budget the more you may have to search.
Who knows. You nightgowns your dream guitar the first day.
Probably not though and narrowing down your search based on comfort will speed things up a lot.
And to answer your question. My personal favorite tone wood combination is KOA and Engelmann spruce. But that is based on only one guitar and may not be true foranyone else and any other guitar.
Good luck and have fun. Dave

Edited by - salmonella on 08/21/2014 1:40:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks dave

Judy
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2014 :  7:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Judy.

Go to a large box guitar store, such as a Guitar Center. Find a size you like that is comfortable sitting or standing. Use a strap, when standing. If the action is too high, pressing the strings will hurt your fingers. Play more than one of the same model. Many times another of the "same" plays and sounds better. A cutaway is nice if you play up and down the neck. Buying an acoustic/electric guitar with a pickup and active electronics is less expensive than adding a pickup later. Taylor's are a lot of bang for the buck. Let your ears and body be the judge. My go to guitar is an older Ovation Acoustic/Electric Dreadnought Shallow Body Cutaway. Most of the locals I play with have Taylor's, Martin's and Ovations. There's a reason Baskin Robbins has 31 Flavors... :) Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2014 :  1:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck finding anyone, particularly Guitar Center, who has more than 1 of the same model. When buffalo Brothers closed, we in San Diego lost our only chance to do this. That ship sailed with the great recession and buying on-line. Most pro shops can't afford the inventory to keep more than 1 of each in stock. Luckily, I can go to Taylor and play everything that they have at the factory, but I can't find a shop in this burg (3+ million folks)that even carries Martin (Guitar Center had 1).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000