Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 best budget ukes these days?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2014 :  07:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

this is for a college freshman (friend of a friend) who played piano, so obviously on a budget (until I hear from him, probably somewhere in the $100 range? more or less!)

but sure he'd like some decent sound and playability...as we all do.

I've already suggested a Tenor size,
but not as aware of good, budget makes these days.
So help a School of Mines freshman keep down the stress, and have fun in a way which doesn't REQUIRE beer, although that may come into play.

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2014 :  08:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordon, on the off chance that your friend has not already found a starter `ukulele (and has not succumbed to too much beer), here's a link to my and Retro's friend Pam's blog that includes advice about starter ukes. Pam has become a uke ambassador of sorts. She plays some Hawaiian music, but is/was also a member of the band The Castaways, who play rock on `ukulele.

http://www.nerdseyeview.com/blog/about-nerds-eye-view/ukulele-faq/

I have direct experience with Flukes and Fleas and like them, esp. because they have wider fretboards which can be helpful for beginners. But they generally cost over $100.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  06:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Nui!
Actually, I'm just thrilled to see a response on our Taropatch.

I hope we can rebirth this wonderful site to a little of it's former glory.
so, while it's redundant, THANK YOU.
Nice little forum for the uke too.

and I just happened to stop by here ( I'm also not here as much, and used to stop in daily) and saw my August post had a response. Yippee!
Now I just need to remember which one of my friends has a kid at School of Mines that had asked me for ideas! But that's a different problem. I guess I won't tackle a 2nd degree in Geology.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  11:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My advice is to spend at least $60 but probably not more than $100 for a starter. I suggest Kala, Makala, Lanikai and others in that price range. Concert is fine for a petite person, but tenor is roomier on the fretboard and better for larger hands.

If they can spend around $200, it is hard to go wrong with either the Kala "Travel Uke" or the Flea from www.magicfluke.com. Either generally comes well set-up and has good intonation.

Try downloading this quick PDF buying guide I developed.
www.boiseukulelegroup.com/images/Buying_Your_First_Ukulele.pdf
Since I kept getting the same questions over and over, it was easier to just write it up. This is based on locally available brands in Boise, so YMMV wherever you live. I also agree with what was said on the blog listed above.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  1:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my lady friend a Luna "Tattoo" (Concert-sized), for about $100. It has a voice.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

k0k0peli
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  7:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were fingering 'ukes in a music shop in Santa Fe NM. I strummed an Alvarez RU22T tenor and my wife said, "That one's mine!" It cost US$100 and has a nice rich tone. A few weeks later we were in a warehouse shop near L.A. where I fingered a Harmonia UK201 concert, solid mahogany with MOP inlay, and I said, "That's mine!" It cost US$60 and I haven't heard another better-sounding concert for 10x that price. IMHO either of those is a good beginner's 'uke.

The worst day strumming is better than the best day working.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2015 :  10:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha k0k0peli, what's that music shop in Sante Fe? I need a New Mexico getaway, and uke shopping is probably cheaper than rhinestone and diamond shirt shopping? We're due for a true green chili fix, and our sorry two stepping at La Fonda rooftop at sunset with Margarita's!
But sometimes only make it as far as Taos. I played the Taos Solar music festival, which was the hippiest festival until I hit the Crestone music festival just up the valley in southern Colorado. And I missed getting to see the short lived Hula and Two-step festival that our late friend Mike Morrow played with his group "Po White Trash"....I think Bill Hearne played it too....so I'll sit in with them (La Fonda or such) if we go.

That would have been a hoot with boots. There's always room for another uke, in that price range.
Go to Top of Page

k0k0peli
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  08:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Kapila Kane -- the friendliest shop in Santa Fe (where we got two ukes) is Borrego's Guitars, 1636 St. Michaels Drive, 505.471.9043 but they don't really have high-end stuff, at least not as of a couple months ago.

For the widest selection of 'ukes and wonders in Santa Fe, see Candyman Strings & Things [ http://www.candymansf.com ] 851 St Michaels Drive, 505.983.5906. For the best vintage instruments in town (and a curious dog) visit High Desert Guitars, 1807 2nd Street #107, 505.983.8922. It's stuck in a weird little complex; you might want to ask at the pizza parlor up front. Call ahead on Mon-Tues.

If you make it down to Albuquerque you *must* stop at Apple Mountain Music [ http://www.applemtnmusic.com/ ] 10301 Comanche NE, 505.237.2048. Besides Celtic harps, hammered dulcimers, and lutes, they're sole dealer of local luthier Keith E Coleman [ http://www.keithcolemanluthier.com/ ] -- I bought a superb professional-quality handmade mandolin for just US$650+tax. Wow!

Alas, it's hard finding instruments in Taos. I mean 'hard' as in, ADDRESSES ARE NOT VISIBLE! WHERE ARE THE SHOPS? As for La Fonda, well, we went there for an anniversary dinner -- they totally messed up, much hu-hu. And yes, shopping in Santa Fe can be hazardous to one's financial health. It's best to have an unobtainable goal, like a chip-inlay watch cuff that will fit my big wrist. Most unlikely, so the quest continues. ;)

The worst day strumming is better than the best day working.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000