Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Australia!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  2:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all :)

I'm Geoff, from Canberra, Australia's capital city :)

I'm new to both guitar playing (I only started learning in March this year) and ki ho'alu, which I only learned about a month or so back after listening to a couple of Jim "Kimo" West's albums. I've fallen in love with the gentle style, and feel it's a perfect thing for me to learn.

Apart from transiting through Honolulu International Airport on the way to and from North America in 1994, I'm sad to say I've never been to the islands :( I do find myself strangely attracted there though and the ki ho'alu is a wonderful reminder of the Hawaiian philosophy I studied for a while in the mid-90s, and sadly let fall by the wayside after life got in the way. Visiting Hawaii properly is definitely something that's on my bucket list.

My copy of Ozzie's book arrived from Amazon yesterday, so I've retuned my guitar and begun to practice the first piece. I've got an awfully long way to go, but I definitely think it's a step in the right direction :)

Anyway, thanks for having me here :)
cheers
Geoff

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  3:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geoff
Most of us have been right where you are. Well, not in Canberra, but Slack Key Wise.
(I was in much of Australia including Canberra in 1990 but sadly have not been back).
Ozzie's book is a great place to start.
Kimo is a very talented guitarist as well and his style is very nahenahe. I am fortunate to live close to him and hear him often.
Don't hesitate to ask questions here on Taropatch. Lots of very knowledgable folks here.
Keep at it. It will be with you always once you get past a certain point.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  8:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Geoff

Welcome aboard to both Taropatch.net & the ki ho'alu journey. I've been on the slack key journey for almost 40 years now & it never gets old for me just like Salmonella above mentioned. Starting with Ozzie's book is the best way to go. I hope it brings you as many countless hours of enjoyment as it has for me.

Ask as many questions as you like here. We all here to share our pointers & experience. Watch a lot of YouTube slack key videos like those of Fran Guidry, Ho'aikane (Ledward Ka'apana videos) Slackkey808, Mark Kuramoto, Slowhandeagle(Shuji Asakawa) SlackKeyHaole, Robert D'Entremont & Dayton Watanabe to name a few. All great ki ho'alu resources.

Duke in Hawaii

Edited by - sirduke58 on 09/23/2014 02:13:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  8:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Salmonella :)

I'm really looking forward to diving in properly. I did a bit of reading here on the patch and learned Ozzie's book seemed to be one of the best places to start for a complete ki ho'alu newbie. So far, it seems to be holding up for me as well.

Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2014 :  02:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Aloha Geoff

Welcome aboard to both Taropatch.net & the ki ho'alu journey. I've been on the slack key journey for almost 40 years now & it never gets old for me just like Salmonella above mentioned. Starting with Ozzie's book is the best way to go. I hope it brings you as many countless hours of enjoyment as it has for me.

Ask as many questions as you like here. We all here to share our pointers & experience. Watch a lot of YouTube slack key videos like those of Fran Guidry, Ho'aikane (Ledward Ka'apana videos) Slackkey808, Mark Kuramoto, Slowhandeagle(Shuji Asakawa) SlackKeyHaole, Robert D'Entremont & Dayton Watanabe to name a few. All great ki ho'alu resources.

Duke in Hawaii

Thanks Duke!

You forgot to mention your own videos on Youtube. I've watched quite a few of those and enjoyed them immensely

I started learning Kani Ki Ho'alu tonight and can pretty much play the first four measures already. So much fun already and I've barely started!

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2014 :  5:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guitar, you can pick it but you can't eat it. Welcome to the 'patch! Slack key is a great choice! Lower the blood pressure, improve digestion, make good friends, strengthen your cerebral cortex etc.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  07:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome indeed. I was never in Canberra, but lived in Perth for a couple of years a lo-o-o-ong time ago.

Good on ya for slackin', just take it slow & easy at first, keep it fun. If you can get a friend addicted too, you'll find things progress a lot better if you play together at times.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  09:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Geoff, there have been several great recommendations listed above. You might also think about the JamPlay slack-key lessons done by Mark Nelson, who is a great teacher and a friend. For a reasonable flat annual rate you can spend all the time want working on his lessons (and others too). Best of luck on your ki ho'alu adventure.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000