Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Where have all the Ukesters Gone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dagan
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  11:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit dagan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably jumped ship to other more active boards, I still try to post here from time to time, but I'll admit, with less and less posters I often ignore this forum :-( I did just post about my "Top 5 Ukulele Albums" blog post, check it out https://daganb.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/the-real-top-five-list/

www.daganb.wordpress.com
www.paniolomusic.com

Edited by - dagan on 07/21/2015 11:06:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

k0k0peli
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  7:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got here from "other more active boards" because I want to learn more about taropatch, which only gets the occasional thread at UkeUnderground. I have (among other instruments) a few guitars, a pile of 'uke-like objects, and David Heaukulani's UKULELE SLACK KEY book to guide me along. (I'm applying that to my Parocho cuatro-menor tuned GGG-CCC-EEE-GGG -- those triple courses really flow and sing.) And I have memories of a trip to Kaua'i in 1987, back before Iniki rearranged things. We might return next year.

The worst day strumming is better than the best day working.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  05:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might also try Mark Nelson's books from his web site:
http://mark-o.com/buy/books/
There are several fingersytle uke books, and one specifically on slack-key ukulele. Taropatch requires retuning only one string, the A down to G.

He also has slack-key guitar lessons on www.jamplay.com, but I haven't looked altely to see if there are slack-key / taropatch ukulele video lessons too.

Edited by - Earl on 07/22/2015 05:10:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

k0k0peli
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  11:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Earl. Mark Nelson's stuff looks interesting. BTW the jamplay.com link doesn't work because of the trailing comma. Anyway, different instruments handle taropatch tuning variously. My 4- and 6- and 8-string tenors, 10-string tiple, and 12-string cuatro-menor all have very different dynamics when I slack the top course. Ah, more techniques to learn!

The worst day strumming is better than the best day working.
Go to Top of Page

SJWMusic
Aloha

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2015 :  10:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha everyone!
Regarding the last comments on here about my 'ukulele, Maka (the name I gave her for those who don't know) is doing great now! It's been very hot and humid here the past few days and she's really starting to improve. The wood is a lot smoother and The frets aren't poking out anymore! If this keeps up she'll be right as rain... uh... sun... in no time!

Kaleolani

Edited by - SJWMusic on 08/19/2015 10:29:57 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000