Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Must See `Ukulele on YouTube
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  09:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YouTube is full of `ukulele but there's one channel that I consider a must for folks interested in making music with the jumping flea, and that's Kimo Hussey's wonderful channel. Kimo is one of the all time greats of the instrument and he's quite a remarkable teacher as well. He regularly posts brief, accessible, enjoyable gems on every aspect of the instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KimoHusseyUkulele

Be sure to tell Kimo I sent you (grin).

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  1:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, Fran, Kimo's music and lessons are first-rate. Well worth your time.
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  04:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After many false starts, and giving up too quickly, Kimo is the guy that really got me going on slack key. Two years in a row I drove 16 plus hours, one way, to attend Kimo's "E Ho'omau Ukulele Retreat" in Sonoma, Ca. The first year I went, Patrick Landeza had a small class of 3 or 4 guys learning Taropatch. I had not brought a guitar, and had already signed up for the uke program. At the end of the long weekend, I was really impressed at the progress the slack key guys had made. The following year I took a guitar, and uke. There was no slack key program that year, but Kimo did do a couple of two hour classes on taropatch. That was all I needed to get off my butt, and stick with learning to play.
Here is Kimo playing a little slack key, and talking about the retreat. Sadly, it looks like the last retreat was 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4hsttjmJmA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000