Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 G Major Chord Fingering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  01:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do you finger a G Major Chord?
Do you have your middle finger on the C string or on the A string?
Most people have their middle finger on the A string although it seems more proficient to make it the other way. The same is true for the D chord on a standard tuned guitar.
If you lay your hand on a flat surface you will see that the tips of the index, middle and ring fingers form a triangle similar to the G Major chord shape. It is also easier to go from G Maj to G Min or from G Maj to G Aug. if you middle finger is on C. So why do more people make it the other way.
I teach beginners to make it with middle finger on C string. There are more advantages to making it that way.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 04/13/2015 01:45:18 AM

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  3:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried your fingering and found it awkward for Hawaiian music. This is generally simple progressions with G maj. C maj. D7 chords. D7 being the 2020 fingering rather than the tin pan alley 2223 fingering. The standard taught "Hawaiian style" fingering sure make the vamp flow easier thru the progression. A7, D7, G
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  3:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not saying you are right or wrong, it's how you're taught.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  12:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It may seem awkward because, as you have stated, you first learnt it the other way. In fact, either way is fine. But ultimately, one way is more proficient then the other and has more advantages.

I do find it curious though, that you refer to the D7(2020) as Hawaiian and the D7(2223) as tin pan alley. How have you come to make that distinction between standard Hawaiian style fingerings to tin pan alley style? Is that from a book or a teacher? When I play the vamp in the key of C I use the D7(2223) and it doesn't really sound tin pan alley-like.

Most chord charts show the chord shapes but don't say exactly what fingers to use. I have seen some people using unusual fingerings for some commonly used chords. I'd like to make a study on chord fingering for the uke. Maybe there is a book or chart that someone can recommend?

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  03:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howzit Hiram, long time no see. Good topic of debate my bruddah.

I've seen people grab the Gmaj as you suggested. No offense but more often then not, it's by people who are not very accomplished at playing the ukulele. I do see your point though that there are certain advantages for certain chord progression situations like going from Gmaj to Gm etc. However, there are also advantages of grabbing the chord the conventional way. For instance, it's much easier to 1.) Reach for the 5th fret on the A string with your pinky 2.) Fret both the A & E strings with the ring finger at the 3rd fret 3.) Open the A string, when adding onamentation to the Gmaj chord. It's also easier to fret the G string at the 4th fret & later at the 2nd fret for a walk down ornamentation in the Gmaj chord.

I think you should use both depending on which is more advantageous for the chord progression you are using. It's always good to use economy of motion when playing. It makes execution easier. You always gotta anticipate your next move & the most efficient way to get there.

The 2 different grips of the Gmaj reminds me of ki ho'alu in a way. Every time you move between slack tunings you "gain something & you lose something" I say use both to your advantage.

I do have one issue with the different Gmaj grip though. Because you have to rotate your wrist about 90 degrees counter-clockwise to grip the unconventional Gmaj shape it may give you problems ergonomically. You may have to hold the uke more upright (Headstock at 10 o'clock) and or tuck your elbow close to your ribs to make it feel comfortable.

BTW I sometimes finger my parallel 6ths differently while playing ki ho'alu when it makes my next movement more efficient.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  06:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic. Made me think about how I've been playing for 10+ years, and not even thinking it through. In Hawaiian music I like the sound of open strings. Using the 2020 D7, I tend to lift my finger off and on the E sting creating an Am chord. In the keys of C,G,and F I now realize that between each chord change, I tend to give a little half beat open string (Am7)(C6) passing chord. Did not realize I do that nearly every time. I really only enjoy playing Hawaiian music, but on occasion when playing Jazz or TPA music, I tend to use fully covered chords so I can choke off the sound.Back to the Gmaj chord. I find that using "the more common" fingering, It's easy to drop the little finger down on the A string 3rd. fret for a passing Gsus chord. Never realized how often I'm adding the Csus 0013 to my music. I guess it all comes down to how you first learned, and then the muscle memory you developed. I'm getting a little too old to learn new tricks.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  3:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do the exact same thing while fretting my 2020 D7 & I also add-on to fret it 2030. Sometimes I'll grab it 2023 then walk down on the A string-2023---2022---2020. Another variation I use (As in "Honolulu I'm Coming Back Again") is 2025 to 2023. An option to that is 2225--2235 then 2223---2423.

BTW Jay, I also strum the string one time open between chord changes almost every time while playing Hawaiian music. I works in other genres of music too.

Here's an example where the "popular" Gmaj grip is very economical. I go 0232--0230--0232 then 0003(ring)--0002(middle)--0000 for the intro on "Mapuna Kahala O' Kailua" I also use the 2020/D7--2000/Am technique here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yar19IcxM4w

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000