Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Fingering for D7 Frets 2020?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SJWMusic
Aloha

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  03:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloooooohaaaaaaa!
I'm not really sure the proper fingering for that chord. Does it depend on what chord you switch from?
Mahalo!

Kaleolani

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  08:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does depend on where you are coming from and where you are going to next. For example, if I'm going to a G7 chord next, I prefer the 2020 fingering using the middle and ring fingers to hold the D7 chord. If G major will be next, I often use the same 2020 but the index and middle fingers, because that is the "top" of the G chord shape. When going to a C chord next, I often choose the 2223 version of D7. That way, my finger is already on the C note and all I have to do is lift the barre behind it. I like having as many options in the tool box as is possible.

Another example of using the variations is the standard vamp - II7, V7, I. For the key of C, this is a D7, G7, C progression. I can get different sounds by using the variations of fingering on the D7 chord. One gives me an ascending melody note on the first string, the barre version bounces up and down between a C note and a B note. I will often use both versions in a two repeat vamp to delineate them.

Edited by - Earl on 06/01/2015 09:01:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

SJWMusic
Aloha

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  06:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I guess I wasn't quite clear. Which finger goes where for the 2020 fingering? Where does the middle finger go, and where does the index go?
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  06:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm! Unless you cross up your fingers, they only can go one way.
Go to Top of Page

SJWMusic
Aloha

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2015 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason I was asking is because of certain chords you have to switch from to get to it. For example, if you're going to that chord from F (2010) I find it easier just to slide the index over. But changing from G (0232) I have my middle finger on the second fret of E instead.
Go to Top of Page

Curtis
Aloha

17 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2015 :  1:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sonja - you've hit on an important concept called "economy of motion." The idea is to get from one place to the other on the fretboard with the least amount of trouble and awkwardness. When figuring out what fingers to use it is helpful to look at where you're coming from and where you're going thereafter, as another poster has said.

Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

SJWMusic
Aloha

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  1:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Curtis!

Kaleolani
Go to Top of Page

dagan
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  1:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit dagan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Came across this post and have to disagree with the "economy of motion" suggestion. Not only does sliding your index over from the first fret second string create an extremely awkward and uncomfortable fingering, it also puts you in a an extremely disadvantageous position in terms of being bale to add the b7th "c" note on the first string as well as the 6th "b" note.

While the theory of economy of motion holds true in some cases, here it would not because it violates the proper physicality of chord creation theory and the highest accessibility to coloring notes axiom.

My recommendation if economy of motion is an extreme concern would be to use the ring finger to fret the f# on the second string second fret when moving from a first position F chord to a first position open D7. Therefore satisfying all of the above postulates of proper ukulele playing.

www.daganb.wordpress.com
www.paniolomusic.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000