Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ledward Kaapana and his Moore Bettah Uke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  11:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Led doesn't keep his good instruments locked up at home, he takes them on the road to share with his audiences. Lucky for me, because I get to shoot video of him playing his 25 year old Martin and his custom Moore Bettah `ukulele.

Here he is on the uke, doing "Na Lei O Hawai`i" also known as "Song of the Islands." I'm backing him up on my Composite Acoustics guitar tuned to taropatch F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbJLPdWU5HA

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  3:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely beautiful, Fran. Thank you for sharing this!
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  08:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, late to the topic, but we've just finished a visit with Chuck Moore and his wife, Bonnie Sargent, for this past week and Led's ukulele came up in a discussion. He'd brought it by Chuck's place for an ukulele tune-up. Two things that Chuck noted:
--Led's ukulele fretboard shows wear way down the neck (Chuck used that to point out that *my* fretboard wear is right up there at the first three frets. Surprise!).
--Chuck asked Led what strings were on it and related that Led laughed and said he hadn't changed 'em so they were still the same ones. 'Makes me feel better 'cause I don't change my strings unless...well, never. Now I don't feel so guilty about not changing ;-)

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  1:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tonya, I'm in the same boat. I change my ukulele strings every 3-4 years whether they need it or not. The only exception is the wound low G that I prefer lately. The windings wear out against the frets and I need to change those every few months. Been using the Aquila Reds for low G, as they last better than most low G's that seem to be wound with very soft aluminum. But in a pinch I've also used the wound D string (0.030") from a light tension classical guitar set too.

It always seems to take forever for nylon strings to settle at pitch, so I don't like changing them. I know how to stretch them and leave a new set tuned a half-turn sharp overnight, but they don't stabilize in less than 7-10 days.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  04:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great video. What?! Change strings, what's that? LOL.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  10:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
What?! Change strings, what's that? LOL.

I actually have at least one 5-6 year old Tangi ukulele that still has the original strings on it, with lots of play hours. It came with the older Ko'olau gold nylon strings, that had some tooth or texture to them. For some unexplained reason, I prefer those over the newer smooth Gold's.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000