Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 KoAloha Naupaka?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2016 :  04:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've owned a KoAloha tenor for years, and really love playing it. Now, I'm considering acquiring a soprano. The KoAloha Naupaka really looks nice, and features an intriguing combo of woods and design. Anyone actually played one?

Any thoughts are certainly appreciated. Mahalo!

Froppe, spreading the Aloha in Austin

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  10:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KoAloha makes consistently fine instruments, so no worries there. I play tenors almost exclusively because my thick fingers find sopranos and even concert size a bit too cramped on the fret board. While I CAN play a soprano ukulele, and did so at the jam on Monday night while someone else used my tenor, my fingers kept reaching for the wrong frets. Soprano is therefore my last choice. That is why I have not played one of the Naupaka's or most other soprano ukes of any brand. With size 14 feet, I don't look at size 10 shoes either.

Are you going for a particular sound? High G or low G? More detail about why you are considering soprano would be helpful. Not trying to rain on your parade, just curious. My apologies if this post was not helpful. Many consider the soprano to be the "true" ukulele sound.
Go to Top of Page

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2016 :  03:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl,
I'm just looking for something different. I have small hands, so the soprano size is no problem. My tenor is low g, so high g will be a nice change. I do agree that the soprano sound is more authentically "Hawaiian", at least to my novice ears.

Mahalo!
Froppe
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  05:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always keep one uke around with high G strings, for that authentic sound character. But I generally prefer the low G sound, and the extra notes are handy for melodic leads and finger picking. I'm always amazed what Jake does with a high G tenor - would have sworn he was using low G, but I got to ask him once after a concert.

When they finally offered a Flea with the longer concert neck, I ordered one right away, and have been pretty happy with that as my travel uke. Not in the same class as KoAloha, but a pretty decent instrument still.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000