Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian Music and other stuff on Kauai
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  12:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just back from Kauai. Seems that after performing for 22 years at the Grand Hyatt (for many years doing 5 shows a week), Leilani Rivera Low (nee Bond) got her walking papers. The Hyatt got some new entertainment manager and he wanted his own talent. Leilani and her halau are now performing at the Marriot in Waipouli and have added 2 big deal luaus each week. So it looks like she landed on here feet. She said she was glad to not be working as hard. An insider told me the Hyatt had recanted after less than a month and was trying to negotiate her return. Apparently business on her regular nights had plummeted.

In a similar note for Kauai regulars, Joe's on the Green at the Kiahuna golf course closed because Joe retired. But, one of the old employees got it going again calling it the Klub at Kiahuna. We've been going there for years to see Kirby Keough and were glad to see him back there at least one night a week. He's also playing regularly at Merrimans in Kukui`ula.

We got to see the Kauai-built voyaging canoe Namahoe on its inaugural launch. A 20-year building effort. An old musician buddy, Dennis Chun, was instrumental in the organizing and building team. Dennis was one of the original Hokulea team in the 70s. The launch ceremony was exciting. See Youtube for some of this.

Finally, one of our favorite T-shirt shops in Koloa town(Pohaku Ts) is on month to month rent and expecting to close after the landlord doubled the rent after 20 years. Apparently all of Koloa town, excluding the gas station, is up for sale ($3 million will get it). Got to get that lottery ticket.

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  05:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Terry. Joe's on the Green had the best Loco Moco I've ever eaten. Does Dennis still perform at the Hukilau Lanai near the Coconut Marketplace? Glad to hear that Kirby is still performing - miss seeing him and Kaui, speaking of which, Paul Togioka posted a bunch of videos of Kaui on Facebook a while back.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  06:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dusty,
Yes, Dennis is still at the Hukilau Lanai on Thursday. Has a steel guitar player (Jesse something) with him who is pretty good. Learned from Ken Emerson and has been on Kauai for a long time. Dennis remarried and they just had a baby. I know he's got kids at least as old as his new wife. With teaching, playing music, managing the voyaging canoe build and a new baby the guy never sleeps. Some incentive for us slacker geezers.

The new Klub at Kiahuna has the same basic menu except for no yogurt/granola dish at breakfast (they're not sure why cause I asked). Food is still pretty good and reasonable. Kirby only doing one night there because of other gigs, but they have music every night for dinner and a great happy hour. Building lots of new houses around the golf course; somebody has $$.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 09/20/2016 06:54:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  08:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I highly recommend the Doug and Sandy McMaster concerts in Hanalei. They used to be on Friday and Sunday afternoons in the Hanalei Community Center.
http://www.hawaiianslackkeyguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000