Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Any National M-3 players?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverface
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  7:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if I'm the lonely sole owner of an M-3 on here or whether there are any others.

For those unfamiliar with it, it was pretty much (unfairly) dissed by a certain author of an "authoritative" National Steel book, as it is the only tricone made with a metal body (painted in an admittedly...errrr...unique...faux-oak finish) and a bolt-on mahogany neck.

However, after playing one years ago I hunted for an affordable one for years (even as an ignored model they usually go for $3k+) - and stumbled on a great deal a while back (still had to sell gear to buy it, but don't regret it for a second).

Having decades of experience with all manner of resonators my take is that the mix of a traditional steel body with a wood neck provides a warmer, "juicier" tone than all-metal models with only slightly less volume (it's still incredibly loud when the player digs in!).

Great guitars - also, if the original cases are lost (they often are) classical tweed cases from Musician's Friend are an inexpensive, perfect match/fit for the originals.

If you are hunting for an original, vintage tricone (all, including the M-3, of which I feel are far superior to current models except a few high-end boutique models) an M3 is the most affordable choice and a tremendous guitar for Hawaiian steel in G, C and other tunings higher than the low-D Weissenborn-style range.

(Caveat - there's one currently for sale on eBay for $4500. Avoid that one - the pictures are stolen, and it's actually MY guitar! I've already contacted eBay and they are dragging their feet in nuking the listing.).

No Chops but Great Tone!

kavika13
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  06:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit kavika13's Homepage  Send kavika13 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, my only National is a electric lap steel, "Waikiki" model. I do like it a lot, but it is not a resonator.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2152 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2016 :  07:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slipry1 here has 2 resophonics, an 8 C13 and a 6 B11. Both are extremely cool!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2016 :  1:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I have 3 resophonic guitars. I keep my 2 8 stringers at C13 -from bottom- G Bb E G A C G E. For a 6 string version, I'd drop the high and low G's. The 6 string is tuned to a Jules Ah See B11 - from bottom - F# B D# A C# E. Works fine for me, as thumbs sez.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Tele295
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  6:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tele295's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

Indeed, I have 3 resophonic guitars. I keep my 2 8 stringers at C13 -from bottom- G Bb E G A C G E. For a 6 string version, I'd drop the high and low G's. The 6 string is tuned to a Jules Ah See B11 - from bottom - F# B D# A C# E. Works fine for me, as thumbs sez.

Is that the same as Andy Volk’s B11?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  09:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tele295

quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

Is that the same as Andy Volk’s B11?

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000