Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Farewell to Uncle Eddie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  11:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Saturday morning Edward Leilani Kamae passed. http://khon2.com/2017/01/07/legendary-hawaiian-musician-eddie-kamae-dies-at-age-89/

Lynn and I came late to Hawaiian music, missed the cultural renaissance and the peak of the club scene. By the time we were paying attention Eddie Kamae had moved on to making films and seemed to have retired from live music. But then we heard here on Taropatch.net that he was playing at Honey's at the Ko`olau golf course, sitting in with Mike Kaawa and his Hawaiian Boy Crew.

Seeing and hearing Eddie for the first time was like stumbling over the Rolling Stones playing in a dive bar. Such energy, such commitment, such great material, we were swept away. Fortunately these great musicians became the last incarnation of the Sons of Hawai`i, playing shows and even cutting tracks for a new CD.

The last few years Eddie hasn't played out, but he and Myrna still appeared occasionally at venues like Honey's and the Kanikapila Grill, where the band would acknowledge Eddie and play "Morning Dew."

I imagine most of us have read Eddie's bio http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-9030-9781883528287.aspx and watched at least some of his wonderful films http://www.hawaiianlegacyfoundation.org/ If you're one of the few who have not, give yourself a treat.

I'm basking in those wonderful sounds today, the `ukulele and that ancient sounding voice. Thanks for everything, Uncle Eddie.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  12:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry to hear of Eddie's passing.

I will do a Tribute to him on the next KKUP 91.5 FM Hawaiian Radio Show this next Friday.

We have seen him live on several occasions. The first one was over in Santa Cruz at the Kuumbwa (I think). We had brought the sheet music of "Morning Dew" for him to autograph. He was surprised! He told us that they had only printed 50 copies of that sheet music, primarily so they could send one copy to the copyright office. And, of course, the title was just "Morning Dew" not "E Ku'u Morning Dew" as has been adopted more recently. (Eddie later also applied for Copyright under the longer name)

At another concert that accompanied the release of one of his films, he lamented that he wished he had sung lead vocal on the original recording of Morning Dew. Instead he followed the producers advice to have Moe Keale sing the part.

We will miss him, along with others like Dennis Kamakahi, very much.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  04:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was with Slipry1 at Honey's in January of 2007. We were waiting for the music to begin, and Uncle Eddie came over to our table and talked story for an hour. Great chicken skin experience. A great loss for Hawai'i and the music community.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  10:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I posted a few photos at http://www.andywangmusic.com/legendary-hawaiian-musician-eddie-kamae-dies-age-89/

I also missed the cultural renaissance of the 1970s but Uncle Eddie's music and films are so inspiring to me. Uncle Eddie will be missed dearly but his rich legacy will live on.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  09:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much of what I know and remember about Hawaiian music is due to his films. Sometimes 1 guy can make a huge difference in a culture. He had a great run.
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  07:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was, and will continue to be, an inspiration to me. An amazing man who did much good for this world.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  09:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little late in checking in and seeing this...
Thanks to Eddie for giving us so much. A great life, well-lived.
Go to Top of Page

tjbozat
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  07:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eddie Kamae was not only a brilliant musician, but a brilliant filmmaker too. I have watched KĪ HŌʻALU SLACK KEY The Hawaiian Way at least thirty times and I never tire of it. Without a doubt my favorite movie ever.

LIʻA Legacy of a Hawaiian Man is also wonderful. If you haven't seen Eddie's movies, please go watch them now.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  08:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a list somewhere of Eddieʻs documentaries? And, is anyone going to do a documentary of Eddie?

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear of his passing. I need to pull out my DVD of Kumu Eddie's documentary and watch it yet again, to touch base again with some aloha spirit.

Losing the classic kumu seems to be a trend of late - none of us are getting younger as the days pass...... sigh. I've had the honor and pleasure of meeting and studying ki hoalu with several of them over the last dozen years.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  07:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maliko

Is there a list somewhere of Eddieʻs documentaries? And, is anyone going to do a documentary of Eddie?

http://www.hawaiianlegacyfoundation.org/

http://www.hawaiianlegacyfoundation.org/those-who-came-before

I've spoken with Lloyd Kawakami, I think he's the chairman of the HLF, he said the work on the archive of Eddie's materials is their big project these days.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for the links, Fran.