Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Vocal styles, training, and "finding your voice">
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  07:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for the suggestion box, If Taropatch does decide to reformat, May I suggest a category for Vocals discussion?

After years of backing up thousands of singers, (some great, some not)...I gradually began to sing more and more, "Why not".

Because I started late, singing is NOT second nature ( while playing fiddle/violin often is)

so I finally found a great "non-classical" vocal coach. Dr. Scott Martin, just down the road in Lakewood, Colorado.

His credentials include working with John Denver, Kenny Loggins, and many others.
While now he's mostly a favorite with Church groups,
while for me. not so much, I'll take the forest, mountains, and music for my spirit renewal.

So I'll just tackle all tunes and singers imaginable, and we just laugh and do the wide range of stuff I still tackle.
My range expanded in the first lesson, and my exploration of how to sing continues...
Scott's great at analyzing and showing how to shape your vocal style and choice of coloring, expanding your range and controlling your voice "mo betta", for different artists, styles and songs with different breathing, phrasing, etc. etc. etc
...and these days, I sometimes actually find "my own voice", and move away from imitating others. But it's a challenge!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/17/2017 08:25:22 AM

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  08:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And to keep my post from going too long, here's a followup TMI...

When younger, I told myself and everyone that "I'm not a singer"...
and alas, what I told myself became true.
Until I stopped talking trash to myself. (like Keola says, treat yourself with Aloha, this is a difficult thing your doing).

Which I often share with 5th grade beginners on instruments, "Don't say 'I'm not good at music'...or ANYTHING!"
" and then I ask them "What does 'Aloha' mean?
Even kids in Colorado who've never been (yet!) can get into that...

And I tell them about this guy I musician in Hawaii, Keola and The "Aloha/be kind and gentle with yourself" idea,
And we go through the basic meanings that I remember, 'hello"," goodbye", and then I get to "Love/Gentleness"/ and I throw in "Kindness."

You're a kid! You weren't born knowing how to do this, and the other kids not in band or orchestra aren't even trying...but we're gonna help you. But you will need to practice!" {we teach what we want to learn!"]

And at the end of our 1/2 hour classes, as some leave and the next group rushes in, I use Aloha,
If you're leaving, "Aloha" , and if you're coming in, "Aloha"!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  1:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do love these candid discussions!
And while we're in this heated discussion, wonder if singing "in, and out of high-head voice"
Might be worth a bit of class time this summer? The "pop" between head and chest voice is a challenge...
and of course, IZ almost had NO recognizable Break between Chest and head voice.
Pretty amazing, and hypnotic.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying a little singing in 'Ōlelo Hawai'i, and, while I am NOT going to quit my day job, I have enjoyed the attempts. I am starting to do more than just sing along in Kanikapila, and actually learn the song and perform it. I have had a little papa 'Ōlelo Hawai'i (language class), and it helps a lot -- I am not just mouthing syllables.
And in learning the song, it helps my instrument playing -- trying to get a Hawaiian sound out of the fiddle.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

akinoguy
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  3:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am thinking of the same..the day came I realized that life is too short to feel embarrassed. I am not planning to make a living of it or perform. I took some on-line lessons in ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi and still learning it. E memele ana wau i kēia ahiʻahi i ka mele "Kokeʻe" o kahu Dennis Kamakahi nei. My dayjob and taking care of little ones after my day job does not allow for voice lessons from a music school.
Other than just sing, got any advice?
Go to Top of Page

akinoguy
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  5:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auwe! He hewa koʻu. I meant "ahiahi" in the last post.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2018 :  3:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to pursue this venue further. I play in taro patch g. It doesn’t match my vocal range. What can I do?
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2018 :  5:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a tank of Helium....
Actually, capo-ing up the guitar can work. Or sing a harmony line if you are in a group....

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2018 :  05:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As in all tunings, all the chords are there...just find & play the ones that DO suit your voice. Can also retune to F taropatch if you need it lower, thus keeping your fingers where they're use to be <G>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2018 :  08:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I like the capo idea. I have played in F. I would like to find a tuning that is versatile to cover both the ease of playing and fits my enormous baritone range

Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2018 :  2:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Spell check is crummy, don’t trust it, I wrote tenor- baritone range, sorry, not even enormous.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  05:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drop C, or even playing in C without retuning the bottom string, doubles the range of taropatch+capo.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  07:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said, Fran! Especially when playing with a halau, with no chance to retune. Learning chords and the kaholo (vamp) will enable you to play back up for many contexts.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  09:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most people are way too critical of themselves and their singing -- and their playing too. If screamers liker Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler can make millions doing their thing, why not go for it? At one songwriter camp that I attended years ago, the unofficial motto became, "Dare to Suck!" which was shorthand for "turn off your inner critic and editor" and just do it.

The important thing is to figure out and stay within your natural range. Forcing yourself outside these limits causes tension and eventually vocal chord damage, not to mention unpleasant sounds. Most of us do not depend on our singing abilities in order to eat regular meals and to live indoors. So have fun with it.

During one of the three voice lessons I took years ago, the teacher said, "Bark like a dog". Huh? Bark in the middle of your speaking voice range, then extend the duration to actually make a note. The barking motion uses all the supporting core muscles and your diaphragm. It was the clearest description that I've ever heard.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  2:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Spell check is crummy, don’t trust it, I wrote tenor- baritone range, sorry, not even enormous.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  2:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok,den, drop c is like Keola’s C? Then Bradda Fran mentioned C, which would be open C? I Liked Earl’s post, I do tend to have a touch of throat singing tendencies. I’ve also been told that I sound like Danny Kaleikini at times, when I’m trying to impersonate Elvis.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000