Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 What happened with the forum?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2017 :  2:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember a pretty active place here in the Taropatch forums, but now I see that there is very little activity. I am very sorry to see it is not being populated with more people and activity.

Any clues to why this is? I am just starting back into guitar playing, and this is one of my favorite genres of music, though I didn't get very far in playing much in slack key. I want to try to get back there, and try again, with a more determined approach to play more, and learn by ear, as it is easiest for me to fly by the seat of my pants than study notes or tab.

I started back with Pohakuloa by Moses Kahumoku, one of my favorites that I have had the pleasure to listen to, in all I have heard of slack key guitar-tistry! There are a handful of others I really liked too, but Moses' style just does it for me, way above the others I have heard, going back about 10-15 years now.

One other question-is there anyone playing today that continues in his style of guitar play? Or is he just unique in this music and style of play?

Edited to add: I have not ever had the pleasure of being exposed or introduced to such a nice group of people than here on the Taropatch forums, believe me, and I have been on a number of musical forums, as I did have many interests in that regard before. I think it has to do with how this particular music has such a positive effect on people, and their outlook on life-you just can't help being nice with this music playing in the background, or as a part of your daily dose of it to make you smile without realizing you were this happy just to listen to it or try to play it too. Anyone feel similarly? I am not often this swayed or made to feel this happy with the music that I listen to-often it has been more a love of melancholy music that I have been drawn to, but certainly not here!!!!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 03/30/2017 2:30:22 PM

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2017 :  10:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of us are still checking in, maybe not as much...but Taropatch is always a comfortable corner, so while you tube and facebook have siphoned off some of the activity,
THIS is still home...we just wander off...but always gotta check in with the Ohana.

Pohakuloa by Moses Kahumoku has great right hand flairs and Moses mixes some of his favorite "tricks". ..He uses a lot of TMI (Thumb, Middle and Index) , a 3 finger stroke...and also what I would call flamenco like arpeggios....but never in just one pattern.
which when going fast is truly TMI for my brain!

A couple years ago
at a Christmastime crafts fair on the Big Island, I stood about a foot away watching him demonstrate ...but without a slow-down feature, (and he even slowed it down for me-live and up-close),
There are others who use similar techniques... I always thought (wished) that Keoki Kahumoku might have a pretty good slant on this...since that's his uncle, who spent time with Keoki, and showed him the ropes.

Also, when Keoki was teaching, he was always extremely patient and a great teacher for basic players.
And also, Jeff Peterson ( a more classical technique player, but also a student of other masters), has a great grasp of everything guitar, including the TMI triple strokes, flamenco and other techniques.
Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been around for awhile, but I seem to only stop by to "read" rather than post. Why? I don't even know that. It's just the way things have evolved. Each of us would have to struggle with an answer to the big question. Why don't we post much anymore...

I have a suspicion that cell phones have a lot to do with it. I, for one, don't have a cell phone and probably never will. But I suspect it's not easy to navigate a website originally built for PCs and Macs on a tiny screen. Again, I don't have a cell phone, so I really have no idea whether browsing a site (like da Patch) on a cell phone, is even doable, or desirable.

Anyway, cell phones have moved a whole lot of planet away from laptops, desktops, etc. and those users tend to default to their phones rather than fire up the ol' confooser.

Secondly, and probably just as important as people moving away from computers, are the so-called social sites. Things like Facebook and Twitter make old-timey websites seem archaic and a pain to navigate.

Just like cell phones, I do not use Facebook (or Twitter or any other social medium), so I continue to visit da Patch (nearly daily). But, I (and this is my opinion only) I believe there are not very many others stopping by like they used to. So, personal connections and impromptu dialogs tend to suffer. My bad. Your bad.

Way back when, we used to share our playing and songs with one another right here... using whatever clunky mechanism we could round up. That starting to lose its luster when other ways (like Youtube) came along. Again, technology skewed the playing field.

All these things happened over a decade and a half, bringing us to where we are today. Will it, or could it, ever go back to the way it was? I doubt it--too many of youse guys aren't willing to throw away those damn phones and slow the hell down.

Just my opinion. fwiw and ymmv

Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  1:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

Many of us are still checking in, maybe not as much...but Taropatch is always a comfortable corner, so while you tube and facebook have siphoned off some of the activity,
THIS is still home...we just wander off...but always gotta check in with the Ohana.

Pohakuloa by Moses Kahumoku has great right hand flairs and Moses mixes some of his favorite "tricks". ..He uses a lot of TMI (Thumb, Middle and Index) , a 3 finger stroke...and also what I would call flamenco like arpeggios....but never in just one pattern.
which when going fast is truly TMI for my brain!

A couple years ago
at a Christmastime crafts fair on the Big Island, I stood about a foot away watching him demonstrate ...but without a slow-down feature, (and he even slowed it down for me-live and up-close),
There are others who use similar techniques... I always thought (wished) that Keoki Kahumoku might have a pretty good slant on this...since that's his uncle, who spent time with Keoki, and showed him the ropes.

Also, when Keoki was teaching, he was always extremely patient and a great teacher for basic players.
And also, Jeff Peterson ( a more classical technique player, but also a student of other masters), has a great grasp of everything guitar, including the TMI triple strokes, flamenco and other techniques.

Yes, I imagine that is a good estimation of where people are now spending their time-their cell phones, youtube and facebook, etc. I have a cell phone, but only use it for communicating with my wife when I am out and about. I'm not into facebook, but do spend a lot of time on (edit) Youtube listening to amazing music, I will admit. It really is the only way for me to stay informed, and it does work for me so well.

You must have been spell bound, watching Moses perform, seeing it so close and not being able to analyze it in the process. I know I would have just frozen and would have just focused on what he was playing in the moment. Sure, if you had a cell phone or camera, maybe you could have recorded it! But even I have one, and no doubt I would have just been riveted to his performance in real-time, and not even have thought of recording it as it happened. So, don't feel bad, just feel lucky that you had gotten that close to him to see the magic being played for your eyes only (or a few if that about)!

So yes, no other player around who plays similarly to his style, and that is at once very unfortunate, and also making his performances that much more special in the process. But I have wondering about this for some time, since Moses dropped out of the music scene, and has not been recording since he's been back (from what I know). That is so unfortunate for everyone-and I do hope that might change in time, but I imagine if he is not up to performing, that we will just rely on recordings for what we know and love from before of his talents.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 04/01/2017 07:58:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  2:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John

I've been around for awhile, but I seem to only stop by to "read" rather than post. Why? I don't even know that. It's just the way things have evolved. Each of us would have to struggle with an answer to the big question. Why don't we post much anymore...

I have a suspicion that cell phones have a lot to do with it. I, for one, don't have a cell phone and probably never will. But I suspect it's not easy to navigate a website originally built for PCs and Macs on a tiny screen. Again, I don't have a cell phone, so I really have no idea whether browsing a site (like da Patch) on a cell phone, is even doable, or desirable.

Anyway, cell phones have moved a whole lot of planet away from laptops, desktops, etc. and those users tend to default to their phones rather than fire up the ol' confooser.

Secondly, and probably just as important as people moving away from computers, are the so-called social sites. Things like Facebook and Twitter make old-timey websites seem archaic and a pain to navigate.

Just like cell phones, I do not use Facebook (or Twitter or any other social medium), so I continue to visit da Patch (nearly daily). But, I (and this is my opinion only) I believe there are not very many others stopping by like they used to. So, personal connections and impromptu dialogs tend to suffer. My bad. Your bad.

Way back when, we used to share our playing and songs with one another right here... using whatever clunky mechanism we could round up. That starting to lose its luster when other ways (like Youtube) came along. Again, technology skewed the playing field.

All these things happened over a decade and a half, bringing us to where we are today. Will it, or could it, ever go back to the way it was? I doubt it--too many of youse guys aren't willing to throw away those damn phones and slow the hell down.

Just my opinion. fwiw and ymmv

Yes, thank you John, a very wise assessment to the denigration of the forum-especially the phones along with other social media that I don't participate in, though for me Youtube continues to be an inspiration and reminder of what has been and what still is an inspiriration for me and my music.

But I do believe there is still a place for forum communication, and this one especially because of the kind atmosphere here that is so seldomly found anywhere else on any musical forum I have visited as yet. Yet, I am so glad I dont have those major distractions and you few lovely people are still out there. Resist!!! And communicate with us, please!

I do hope people can overcome those hurdles and continue to be here where we can go musically and spiritually in our writings, at times.

Bless you all for your help and inspirations here on the taro patch!

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 03/31/2017 2:27:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I edited my reply Kapila Kane above because the old mind played a trick on me, and wrote that I spent a lot of time on Facebook, and that was a big fat lie (0 time)! What I meant to say is Youtube, for the music! Just so you know, I'm not that kind of guy! ; )

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2017 :  08:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One correction from my camp notes class with Jeff Peterson...
The technique he had us trying was
"T R I"
I repeat, T-R-I
Try it...
Thumb goes UP, then Ring goes down, and Index, in rapid sequence, and often done repeatedly FAST...

triplet patterns, at the speed of light and sound.
And Moses also played it while the left hand blocked/muted the strings,
"chic-a-da, chic-a-da, chica-da, chic-a-da"
that's in the New Latin Chick-a-dee Latin !
Can I Play it?
REALLY SLOWLY!
Moses makes it sound like the coolest drill.
also useful on uke.
And I think Keoki and others use this too, since Keoki had a great teacher or two.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 04/02/2017 10:39:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  07:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually pop in once or twice a week to see what's up. Not much, usually. The activity seems to have drifted into Facebook.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  2:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yep - seems lots of folks have left for the "social media"outlets.

After all, on Facebook, if you do not like what is said, you can un-friend anybody you disagree with.

This makes for a cozy little bubble for each person, where they do not have to hear or see anything that disagrees with them.

Of course, this also works like Grade-School cliques, with their many negatives, which is why I do not participate.

Last stats I heard (from not inside a facebook bubble) were that there were more people now leaving facebook than joining.

This Youtube states the opinion of a number of former faceplanters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVT55unfBc

(and I agree wholeheartedly)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/05/2017 06:21:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was a mass migration over to Facebook about three years ago. It's been quiet around here since, but many folks check in weekly (even if they don't actually post very often). I'll NEVER be on Facebook or most social media, BTW.

My favorite joke on the topic came from Conan O’Brien on the Tonight Show several years ago:

"I ran across the ultimate time-wasting web site recently. It’s a combination of YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook. The address is www.youtwitface.com"

Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  07:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure FB is not the main culprit...it is afterall, a social network site foremost...if you're really interested in "dirty laundry", or yawn, another food picture, or expressing your meaningless insecurities...have at it...its not a music forum per se.
I will say that YouTube, an online tutorials have greatly improved my guitar playing, in Slack Key, and in other musical styles. TaroPatch was, and is, still a great place to connect for Slack Key, and exchange of Slack Key related subjects. Taropatch can't teach you everything. I personally love Taropatch since its beginning, and find it still, very relevant.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and therapeutic, not that I need that...I mean it's such a kind, sane world! No wait, that's Taropatch!
Taropeutic?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  06:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got busy with family and work... and periodically playing music. I have not had the time to maintain this place and encourage activity. There's that and the fact that lots of folks are spending their time on social media sites like FB.

I love the community here and have been so fortunate to have met and shared music with many of you in person. The community is a valuable resource that has taught me so much about music and more. I would love to give Taropatch.net the much needed update that it deserves. But realistically, that project is far down my long to-do list at this moment.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  06:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy, life has its priorities. "Can do" only what you "can do". Mahalo for your efforts, both historically and ongoing.

I happen to think that the forum does not really need updating or freshening - just more activity. I'm trying to do my part..... As someone who will never be on Facebook, etc places like taropatch.net are vital.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  4:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, real life has to take over. Guitars can't play themselves and tunes need to be played, heard, and shared.
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  7:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got lost reading back on the old posts and found this question posed before, from 2014, and some of the replies were in more depth, and still offer other reasons that haven't been touched on yet here. It certainly was a good read, as are many old posts here on the 'Patch, and fun to see mention of "the old ones" of times gone by and hear of their mention again. It beats anything I've ever read on Facebook, and why I'm here and not there! ; )

http://taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11124&whichpage=1

And while I was reading back in time, I went to Youtube and found my favorite oldie playlist, from Moses Kahumoku there, which made the read all the much better for me!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfXzwVqjNnI&list=PLDQ5Y5qDb8EQ-0IULZRBfooiZr3SCRlw7&index=1

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000