Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What did you play today?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  05:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got back from a long musical retreat weekend with Alaskan friends now living in northern Washington state, up near the Canadian border. We jammed the usual song circle tunes, plus there were a couple of singer-songwriters who played their (nice) originals too.

None of them had ever heard ki ho'alu before, so I demonstrated several tunes and tunings to a very warm welcome. Maybe a couple of converts?? I played so much that I now have a blister under my callous on the index finger, requiring a couple of days off to heal.

On a sad note, upon our return home we got word that the Hula Hands restaurant where we had a great kanikapila going, closed its doors after last Friday's jam. Running a restaurant is TOUGH. We will have to figure out a way to keep that local kani going -- maybe moving from house to house each week, or find a new venue.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  09:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl! There are some pickers in the Bellingham-Ferndale area that play Hawaiian music, plus a festival in Ferndale: The Bridge of Aloha, usually the 1st Saturday of May.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  12:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for the info, Thumbstruck. The last time I was through Bellingham was 24 years ago, driving north while moving to Alaska. Our Labor Day weekend was spent in Republic, WA (Ferry County) and we live in Boise, ID. Nine hours away by car.

I have been to Neej's house in Bellevue several times, and we hope to make another kani and house concert there too. (Not being retired yet makes this much road trip challenging). Maybe doable by next May......
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  04:18:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Earl. Republic is a ways away from B'ham. Guitarded is from near Tri-Cities. Jesse Tinsley is near Spokane. Skype, maybe............
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  09:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Hey, Earl. Republic is a ways away from B'ham.....

Roger that -- virtually all the way across Washington state. Even Spokane is a long drive for us (7 hours). I have wanted to get together with Jesse for a while now, but until we retire next year, making extended trips up north will be few and far between.

The trip to Republic was a special case, and still was planned well in advance. Back when we had our Cessna, we could get to things more quickly and easily (mostly, depending on weather).
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  2:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got together with a bud today during my lunch hour and we played through Opihi Moe Moe, Jingle Bells (in taro patch, with swing), Po 'E Koa, and jammed over some 4-measure and 8-measure changes. It was hard to go back to my desk for the second half of the day. :)
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  2:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work in the afternoon is greatly over-rated.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  10:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice little jam last night with 2 guitars, bass, and guy doubling on lap steel and uke. Somebody brought a bottle of vodka...all good. Played (that I can recall off the top of my head):

Kuu Ipo Onaona
He Aloha No O Honolulu
Pu'uanahula
Ophihi Moemoe
Sase
E Lili'u E
Punahele
Maunloa
...and a couple arrangements (Jingle Bells, Amazing Grace, and some bluegrass tune that we did in Taro Patch with sweet slack key feel.)
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  8:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Hey, Earl. Republic is a ways away from B'ham.....

Roger that -- virtually all the way across Washington state. Even Spokane is a long drive for us (7 hours). I have wanted to get together with Jesse for a while now, but until we retire next year, making extended trips up north will be few and far between.

The trip to Republic was a special case, and still was planned well in advance. Back when we had our Cessna, we could get to things more quickly and easily (mostly, depending on weather).

Hey! I still have one Cessna. Boise not so far...
Jes' sayin.....

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  11:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maliko, I wish we still had our 177FG, but I cannot pass the physical any longer. It sold about six years ago and now lives in Chehalis, WA not very far south of you. So now we are down to car only for trips, unless someone wants to come here. I refuse to fly commercial anymore, for any reason.

We have a guest room, are 15 minutes from either BOI airport or Nampa airport (KMAN, much friendlier for GA), and can organize a kani if you are ever passing through. Just send me an email through my profile address.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  1:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl, will do. I have refueld at Nampa in the past.
In the meatime, I struggled today with "Pau Pilikia". Leonard Kwan was a monster!
--Maliko

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  06:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shaved-Ice Hula. Or was that a spur of the moment improv? We'll call it The Snow-Hula, since I was shoveling snow yesterday?
No matta', it's sunny and 60 today. Ah, Colorado, just like Hawaii...4-seasons in one day. But on Big Island, you mist drive through the 4 seasons. Here, we just sit and wait 4 minutes.
I'll take the flannel-lined grass skirt please.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 10/11/2017 06:45:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  04:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the old guy said, "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes." Here in the Seattle area, we have a "convergent zone" and micro climates. Thus the layered clothing and hats (natives don't use umbrellas).
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  2:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the last week I learned and have been working on improving Waimea Lullaby. Fran and Led's version on Youtube is sublime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJN9MazwGwM
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  07:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently chasing Aunty Alice's "Ka Manu" in a weird tuning, fiddle at DDGD. Going to try "Punahele" and "Pua Sadinia" in that tuning as well. Playing "Opihi Moe Moe" and "Punahele" in standard.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000