Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What did you play today?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  06:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maliko

Playing "Opihi Moe Moe" and "Punahele" in standard.

I assume you mean "standard taro patch". Either tune would be pretty impressive / challenging in standard E-e tuning...... not sure I even want to try and wrap my brain around that this morning.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  06:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, but I did hear a couple of guys do dat :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  09:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....um, by "standard tuning", I meant Violin standard tuning, GDAE. This hūpō fool is trying to do kī hō'alu with just 4 strings, no frets, and a bow...

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gotcha. I sometimes play slack-key taro patch tunes on a ukulele tuned GCEG (1st string dropped by a tone). That would technically be taro patch C. It works great if you have a bass player handling the part that would ordinarily be the alternating 6th and 5th strings.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  4:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I
Started out with Pua Lililehua, E kuu morning dew, then just messed around the frets for awhile, looking for a seque. wiamanalo blues, Baba’s tune(?), Pua Lililehua (my favorite) then finshed with Mom and God Bless my Daddy.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  11:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claudia G. and I have been getting together pretty regularly and playing through tunes. Yesterday we worked on Na Kika Elua and Slack Music Music Box, and we pretty much got those. Next is 'Imi Au Ia 'Oe (Beamer arrangement) but we're taking a break for a couple of weeks as she gets ready to play at the NY Botanical Garden with Andy in June.

Edited by - 12toneman on 05/26/2018 11:50:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  1:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been running through my whole slack-key repertoire for the past day or two. We have been invited to a big luau at a local park on July 4th. If I am going to be jamming with and playing for a bunch of Hawaiians, the least I can do is polish away the rust and not embarrass myself.

Our ukulele group is also playing the annual luau on the 11th at the senior complex where we meet, so it is time to brush up on the set list for there too.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  04:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Waikoloa", "Mapuana", and a bunch more- I played a retirement party with Kermet Apio. Good fun!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  04:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been practicing my whole slack key repertoire almost daily. We are heading to Neej's place next weekend for a Friday house concert, then her regular monthly kanikapila on Saturday. I don't want to embarrass myself, so practice is in order.

We played with the Uncles at the grand opening of a new island-themed restaurant last Friday. We are going to a Hawaiian bash in Kennewick the first weekend of October. And our ukulele club keeps chugging along too. Lots of music on our plate - yay!

There is also a stack of Hawaiian music CD's in front of the boom box on my desk, to listen to all week. Beats anything on the radio......
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  06:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get too worried about our kani...it's nearly all a matter of singing songs from the excellent Kuki books <G>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Tele295
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2018 :  12:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tele295's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trying to get the hang of my new Weissenborn style steel, so just some 3 chord standards - Aloha Oe, E Huli Makou, Wahine Ilikea, etc
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  09:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As to "Standard Tuning", My friend's son, (Not Hawaiian, but got as close as he could --California) , in his teens was around so many singer-songwriters and arrangements in Drop -D, that he thought that Drop D was Standard!
It's who you know and watch, and idolize.
If we can get a few more million to play in Taropatch...we can re-claim the true standard tuning...TAROPATCH!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 08/11/2018 09:16:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  11:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taropatch was 1st documented in German lute tab 400 years ago. My Grandma from northern Sweden also played in an alternate tuning.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  4:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Thumbstruck,

"Taropatch was 1st documented in German lute tab 400 years ago. My Grandma from northern Sweden also played in an alternate tuning."

Herr Kapila answers:
Ja, Ja...wir haben slacken key en Deutschshland...Aber ist eine secret der Burg.

Aber Sometimes called Taropatch, "Dropped Weinerschnitzel tuning".
Das Bruder en Musica,
Spielen Herr Kane. Monk 2nd class.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  4:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, didn't mean to go off on that. I LIKE this topic and subsequent posts...it encourages us to challenge ourselves, get over fears, play and post that you did it. I'm in such a state of stagnation and just not playing, I NEED to actually do a post of something I've played. I apologize and hope to be back with a valid post.
Kapila Kane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000