Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What does Led mean by "Jus' Press"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  10:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious.

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't get too hung up on fingering and technique - jus' press the strings and make music. At least this is the way I've always taken it.

I've been fortunate enough to meet and study with several of the slack-key greats, but Led is not one of them -- yet. Still hoping.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He got the phrase from his Uncle Fred Punahoa who Led credits wiith teaching him slack key. Uncle Fred was notorious for grabbing all kinds of objects to fret his guitar while playing. Might be a cigarette lighter, spoon or beer bottle ,etc. Taught Led to play with a paper bag over his fretting hand too. Uncle Fred Punahoa was not only a great guitarist but a great entertainer also.

"Jus' Press" was the answer Uncle Fred gave when Led asked how he learned & played kiho'alu. Basically means. Jus' press (or fret) the right notes & chords. Most importantly "Jus' press.No stress & just have fun". That's the way I understand it.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  06:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too many folks stress when they practice and play. They don't have fun, they are too hard on themselves. I always tell my haumana that we never will play as good as we hear (our ear is always ahead of our ability, thus we can progress), start simple, have fun, be adventurous, try new things. There is no exact way of playing except playing. If you feel like you've "hit the wall", good - the "wall" means you're getting ready to get to a new level. I also tell them that if it's too hard, quit. Go watch TV and eat junk food. Nothing worthwhile is easy all the time. The challenge is part of the allure, plus you get to meet good folks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000