Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Paddling and slack key
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  8:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're on the windward side of O`ahu for a while and sometimes it seems like there are paddlers around every corner. Kailua Canoe Club is based in Kailua Beach Park and they practice up and down Ka `Elepulu Stream and out onto Enchanted Lake (actually Ka `Elepulu) and race on Kailua Bay. Stand up paddlers use the same waters, as do kayakers.

All this paddling hooked up with a cute little song that has been rattling around in my head, "Holo Wa`apa," Lena Machado's story of a paddling adventure. So I set out with camera, guitar, and recorder to put together a video clip. I came up with this instrumental arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqdYm1FTHoc

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  6:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice Fran!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  08:13:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lee. I see in your bio stuff that you're the lucky owner of a Martin OM-18V, like the one I used in the video.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  08:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Way cool, Fran, as always.

We looked at a house not far from that canoe club after getting a job offer about 25 years ago. When we saw what we could get in terms of fixer-upper house for what our NorCal house would bring, we opted to stay in Petaluma. As a kayaker and scuba diver too, I would have really enjoyed being near Kailua Bay.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  1:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Fran, the OM18v is definitely a keeper!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  1:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kory "thumbstruck" just sent me a link to his arrangement of this tune. Besides those great thumbstruck chords and fills, he modulates the darned thing from G to C! Just watch the fingers, folks, they never leave the hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45qDE6zlfU

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  1:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeah, lots of other cool arrangement/performances on Kory's YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLJ0fALxEYzUZOEaut-eNQ

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000