Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "Pua O Ka Nahele" - what tuning?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  1:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi, all --

This is a lovely piece by Kaumakaiwa Kanaka'ole on his album, Welo. Does anyone know what tuning he uses?

Thanks in advance,

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA

Edited by - jkwasnik on 08/15/2017 1:23:57 PM

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  08:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I listened to the song sample on Mele.com & here's my opinion.Not positive but to my ears it sounds like standard tuning. The song seems to be played in the key of E. I messed with it for a couple of minutes & found that if you tune to "Drop C" aka "Leonard's C" aka "Taropatch G with C bass" (C-G-D-G-B-D) then you capo at the 4th fret. You'll then be in the key of E. The song literally falls off of the guitar.

You start with the 1st position C chord shape from taropatch & slide that shape up one fret (no barre) and back for the intro & "hook" of the song.

The basic vamp will be parallels on the 2nd & 4th strings arpeggiating strings. Sequence doesn't really matter as long as you emphasize the fretted melody notes. (Parallels from capo) are: 10/10-8/9-6/7-5/5-3/3 then back to your home chord.

String # Fret#
#1...................2
#2...................1
#3...................0
#4...................2
#5...................0
#6...................0
Go to Top of Page

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  07:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! I stand in awe that you could suss that out so quickly ... thanks for the master class. I would have been stumbling around. Dunno what that flamenco-sounding chord is, but it really sounds cool.

Thanks!!

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  09:10:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha, John. Mahalo for the kind words. Just a developed skill acquired from the many kanikapila I've attended. I'm always scrambling to figure out how to keep up adequately with whoever is playing an unfamiliar song. Comes in handy when you want to learn songs & there's no tabs or videos available. Glad I could help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000