Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Learning Hawaiian
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

akinoguy
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  3:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Playing slack key makes me want to learn the song lyrics, and so I have been learning Hawaiian for a few years now for better appreciation. But I donʻt live in Hawaiʻi, and my effort in finding study buddies did not bear out. Studying Hawaiian while not in Hawaiʻi seems as lonely of a pursuit than studying slack key. Thankfully, there is the internet and I am slowly learning it starting with an introductory distant learnning course from Kamehameha High Schools. For those that are interested in studying Hawaiian on their own, I found some useful free and legit online sources:

www.wehewehe.org - Comprehensive online dictionary from UH

www.ulukau.org - Nice online library of Hawaiian language texts, also from UH

www.oiwi.tv - TV station that streams sometimes videos in Hawaiian language, and also has a 13-video clip series on Hawaiian language basics

www.trussel2.com/haw/kuk/hsa.htm - An archive of the Hawaiian language articles that are printed in the Honolulu Staradvertiser every weekend.

I made a collection of online flash cards on quizlet.com that I used for study. If someone else wants to use them, just send me an email address and I can share that collection.

If anyone else knows of a good resource, please share..

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  5:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe that Neej is taking a similar on-line course, but I don't know any of the particulars. Perhaps she can elaborate.

We bought Kaliko's DVD course at Aloha Music Camp several years ago. My wife spent a considerable amount of time with it, but I have not been so dedicated. I will try to find the title of that course and post it here when I am back at home.

I am slowly bringing some real Hawaiian music back into our ukulele group (aided by a few Hawaiians that have moved here recently) and our folks have even asked for translations of the lyrics of Wahine Ilikea. Next timer I make an update to our website, I will post the Hawaiian lyrics and the English translation.
Go to Top of Page

akinoguy
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  5:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, another one...

http://www.halaumohalailima.com/HMI/Waihona_Mele.html - essays on the meaning of a few mele.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  07:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

I believe that Neej is taking a similar on-line course, but I don't know any of the particulars. Perhaps she can elaborate.

We bought Kaliko's DVD course at Aloha Music Camp several years ago. My wife spent a considerable amount of time with it, but I have not been so dedicated. I will try to find the title of that course and post it here when I am back at home.

I am slowly bringing some real Hawaiian music back into our ukulele group (aided by a few Hawaiians that have moved here recently) and our folks have even asked for translations of the lyrics of Wahine Ilikea. Next timer I make an update to our website, I will post the Hawaiian lyrics and the English translation.

The course I'm taking is 'live'...used to be physically together, but has had to be done by Skype now ('cause not enough of us for a room at the college now, & one now lives in Hawaii).

I tried Kaliko's DVD, but something about it did evil things to my computer :-/

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  10:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha kākou,
I am taking a similar class as Neeej, from the same kumu, but at an earlier stage (just finishing year 2). Enjoying it much.
I have found learning the language to be most helpful in understanding the mele, I have much to learn, but I am now not just mouthing syllables.
Indeed, I was honored by my kumu hula by being given the lead singer role for "Koali" at a recent gig for Kamehameha school alumni. Hanohano nui nō! (I also played fiddle -- backup and vamps, no pa'ani with a hula performance.)
I listened to a recording of it afterwards, and my "Hopuna 'Ōlelo" (pronunciation) was decent, but there was something in my vocal-quality/accent/tone that was, well, uh, for lack of a better description, haole. Oh well.

--Maliko

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"

Edited by - Maliko on 10/17/2017 10:18:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  2:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always had trouble singing words, so in Bluegrass, I was relegated to singing harmony. I don't sing Hawaiian out of respect for the culture.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  07:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I don't sing Hawaiian out of respect for the culture.

All the more reason to attempt doing it right. I also find that studying the language and the translations helps me understand the mele, with the side benefit of better remembering the lyrics. My focus tends toward the lyrics of a given song rather than learning conversational Hawaiian.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  09:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lester Young once said that you couldn't sensibly play a ballad unless you knew the words.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  8:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At my Papa 'Ōlelo Hawai'i (Hawaiian language class) last night, I discussed my impressions of my singing with my Kumu, and she remarked that it was a good sign that I had noticed the un-Hawaiian qualities in my singing. As time goes on things should improve, she assured me.

When learning something new on a musical instrument, even after you get everything down, it still sounds stilted until it has been practiced and performed a number of times. Then "economy of motion" sets in, and one gets control of the subtle nuances of "expression". For singing/speaking in a new language, the same is true.

And it is true, I have been told by more than one Hawaiian musician that I need to "Know the Mele" to play it well. Since I am trying to find the Hawaiian voice for the fiddle (an instrument capable of strong vocal qualities), I especially need to understand the mele. So I try to sing the songs. I can hold a tune, and sometimes harmonize on the fly, but I don't have a world-class voice by any means. Nonetheless, most Hawaiian music is "folk music", so it is appropriate for anyone to join in. Kanikapila music. If can, can. Hiki no.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

akinoguy
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  2:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another one - a section of Na Mele o Hawaii nei by S Elbert and N Mahoe from 1970 containing a number of older Hawaiian songs and their explanations -

http://www.ulukau.org/elib/collect/101songs/index/assoc/D0.dir/doc39.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  06:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more Hawaiian language you know, the better you will be at singing the mele and playing slack key. Here is one of resources that I love for learning Hawaiian online - http://niuolahiki.ahapunanaleo.org
I studied with them for years and they are great. They have a sale on right now. You can buy one chapter at a time and take as much time as you need for each chapter of the Nā Kai 'Ewalu book.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000