Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 What other music do you play besides slack key?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2017 :  1:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering what kind of music you all make with you guitar besides Ki Ho'alu.

I came back to playing guitar just to play slack key. So I actually only play slack key!

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  07:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned finger style guitar by playing slack key. From there, I went on to try Country Blues and Ragtime. I also play mandolin, some Bluegrass, Dobro/lap steel, and diatonic accordion - Scandinavian, Alpine, some French and Tejano.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  05:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Country / Piedmont blues, ragtime, plus strumming and finger picking folk, country, 70's singer-songwriter stuff (Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, Eagles, Jimmy Buffet, etc). I also play ukulele, some banjo and bass. I even know 3-4 chords on the mandolin. There are some folks at bluegrass jams that think I can actually *play* mandolin, but I sure have them fooled.

I came to slack key fairly late in the game long after becoming pretty accomplished at finger picking the other stuff as listed above. Mark Nelson played a show at a festival in Alaska where I was also performing and did a few slack-key tunes during his set. Then he gave a slack-key workshop the next day, and I have been hooked ever since. Ki hoalu totally derailed my instrumental studies in ragtime, Delta blues, and Country Blues.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  11:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seldom play anything else besides kiho'alu these days. Might strum some ukulele to sing Hawaiian songs that aren't necessarily thought of as slack key songs. Every now & then I'll tune up to standard to play stuff I learned prior to dedicating to my guitar playing to slack key. I learned all the usual stuff like James Taylor, Eagles, Jim Croce, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Santana, Doobie Brothers etc. Then I learned all the Hawaiian contemporary music of "The Hawaiian Music Renaiasance" of the 70's Like Cecilio & Kapono, Kalapana, Olomana & Country Comfort. Learned a lot of Hawaiian contemporary not because I liked it but because I was just learning guitar and wanted desparately to increase my repertoire & inventory. I guess it benefit me in the end FYI I have loved all kinds of different genres all my life. I just have a passion for kiho'alu which is my favorite.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  05:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started with classical...60+/- years ago. That's long gone. What I really am is a living-room folkie, and have just added Hawaiian songs to the repertoire. My slack is kinda slack, but I still enjoy it (when my creaky neck allows me to play at all).

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  08:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been playing piano since I was 10 (mostly jazz and rock, now). I played saxes in high school. I got disenchanted with the sax, so I took up mountain style banjo, and I won a bunch of contests back in the 60's & 70's, followed by guitar and bass. In 1975, I fell in love with pedal steel guitar and country Dobro. I met Thumbstruck in the early 2000's, and he urged me to play Hawaiian steel, which is what I mostly play, although I have a jazz piano gig at a private party tonight. I HATE fusion music of all sorts, so I'll pick an instrument to play that's in keeping with the genre of the music. My motto - There are 2 kinds of music, good and bad, and I play 'em both

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  06:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a little bar band with Lynn on drums and me playing "turn that damned thing down" lead guitar, starting in about '75 and going until the early 90s. We played what were then oldies, like Chuck Berry and Elvis, some R&B, a bit of country. Playing a wedding for friends that turned into an all night bacchanal fueled by some kind of white powder (we didn't indulge), I damaged my fretting hand and over the next year or so found I couldn't play guitar without my hand cramping and locking up, so I gave up music.

On my first trip to Hawai`i in '99 I was accidentally exposed to a slack key vamp and it immediately got into my head. I tried to learn from a Keola Beamer video, but it just did not click. I had no fingerstyle skills at all and couldn't get off the ground with Keola's material. The Ozzie book was out of print at that time, but about a year later I stumbled over a copy when we wandered into the old Tropical Disc record store in Kihei. After a couple of months I could sort of play the easy part of "Kani Ki Ho`alu" and discovered that the technique allowed by slack key gave me my music back. I've basically played nothing but Hawaiian music since.

Thank you Ozzie, Patrick Landeza, Keola, Cyril, Kevin Brown, Led, Duke, and anyone else who has shared their mana`o along the way, you don't know what a precious gift you've given.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  3:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Fran! Jus' press! As long as we play music, no mattah! Each instrument informs the other. Traditional music always get ono grinds! If not traditional, no get aunties an' tutu! If dey no stay dea, guaranz no moa ono grinds! Jus' making one ethonomusicological kine comment............
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000