Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Alice Namakelua version of 'Opihi Moemoe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  10:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At a workshop last year in Seattle, I heard George Kuo play a version of 'Opihi Moemoe in the style of Ku'uleialohapoina'ole (Alice) Namakelua. It was slow, one-note-at-a-time, but had the drive and essence of the tune. I am finding it useful for working out a fiddle version of 'Opihi Moemoe.
Does anyone have a recording of Auntie Alice playing that tune? Or even talk story about hearing it?

Mahalo,
--Maliko

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  10:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never knew she did a rendition of "Opihi moemoe" Knowing her style of kiho'alu I can actually imagine hearing it. My first formal slack key kumu was Kale Bannister, haumana of Auntie Alice. He used to share a lot of stories about her.

If you come across a recording of Auntie Alice's "Opihi moemoe" I'd be very interested in hearing it.

BTW, please remind me about 3 weeks to a month out before you & the Mrs come to Oahu in February. That way I have some time to put that kanikapila together. You can bet your fiddle we're gonna kanikapila

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  7:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al Tringali knew Aunty Alice. You might email him or talk story with him here (Noeau).
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  09:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've rummaged around for Auntie Alice performances beyond the LPs and not found an "Opihi Moemoe"--though since my initial rummages, Kokua Films has posted portions of a TV program on which she plays and talks about the music. (Lots of other nice material there, too.) Here's their main YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KOKUAFILMSHAWAII/videos

The YouTube example of George Kuo playing the tune sounds more like Leonard Kwan's version than what I'd expect from Auntie.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  07:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One thing to remember about 'Opihi Moemoe is that it was not always named such. Leonard's own story is that when he went into the studio to record they asked him the name for the song. He did not have a name for it, so they named it "'Opihi Moemoe" at that time. Several other slack key players I know, who played that same melody at that time, used different names for it. So it may be recorded elsewhere by a different name.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think George Kou has put this rendition on YouTube -- I recorded it myself during his workshop. I would not publish it without asking him first. (Don't know if he is on the Patch...). I will forward it via google drive to anyone on the Patch who asks...
I have shifted my efforts in kï ho‘alu fiddle towards the oldest stuff I can find.

Edited by - Maliko on 11/30/2017 4:03:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  08:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell Letson

I've rummaged around for Auntie Alice performances beyond the LPs and not found an "Opihi Moemoe"--though since my initial rummages, Kokua Films has posted portions of a TV program on which she plays and talks about the music. (Lots of other nice material there, too.) Here's their main YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KOKUAFILMSHAWAII/videos

The YouTube example of George Kuo playing the tune sounds more like Leonard Kwan's version than what I'd expect from Auntie.

Mahalo nui loa for the Kokua Films link, Russell, I'm going to be "wasting" a monsta amount of time there.....
--Maliko

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000