Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Favorite books (Hawaiian or ???)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  3:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an open invitation to share your favorites...and help me find or rediscover another gem to curl up with by the evening fires.

and it's been a little sleepy here in the Patch...
but twas snowing when I started this thread. and will head to the fireplace in a second...
Thinking of some of my favorite books that touch on things Hawaiian...(but these choices are not in any order of preference:

Well a current favorite is George Kahumoku Jr. "A Hawaiian Life" Volume Two
Also Volume One had great stories.
But Volume 2 really makes me feel like I know more of the real George. I been to 6 or 7 camps, workshops, concerts, and one year George even drove me to camp from Kahului airport...etc.
His background info in Volume 2 made me realize there was so much I'd missed, or never asked the right questions. And they're some fun stories...and amazing life indeed.

"The Shimmering" (Ka 'Olili) Stories by Keola Beamer--the first collection I read on my first trip to Hawaii. (this was really fun to read when first on the Big Island and curling up in the rainforest Volcano cottages (now closed?) . Reading late at nigbt, usually after a soak in the hot tub. The opening story is "The Shimmering" which had me really intimidated about going to visit Volcanoes National Park and Pele's home the next day!

And, my last choice, (for now) is Sarah Vowell's "Unfamiliar Fishes"...a pretty good overview of Hawaii by one of my favorite authors...she's got an edge, but intelligent, humorous, bet with edge and insights.
I'll probably think of more later...but right now gonna go sit (bravely) by the fire. That Pele gets around...makes a better Friend than a Foe.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/23/2018 05:55:05 AM

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  11:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands by Gavan Daws
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  06:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would have to re-read it to see if it is culturally insensitive (now that I know WAY more about Hawaiian culture) but James Michener's Hawaii covers a lot of ground. I recall reading this rather thick book on the plane to and from our first visit to Kauai in 1987.

The book starts from the geological beginnings of the islands, then Polynesian settlement, to the pre- and post-missionary eras, political annexation and overthrow of the monarchy, to relatively modern times (as of the publication date).

Based on your description, I should get both of Uncle George's books. I've heard Keola tell some of the stories from his book in person at camp and in shows, but that is another one to add to the library.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  08:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Molokai' by Alan Brennert...& his 'Honolulu' is pretty good too

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  5:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good to hear some ideas. I never read Michener's Hawaii, and it's been suggested.
I remember my aunt reading and speaking of it back in the 60's.

Also kinda wonderin' what Mark Twain must have written that I'm missing? About his time in Hawaii, of course.
And will check on Shoal of Time.

Some mo' please?!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  11:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked Voices of Wisdom.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  2:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.amazon.com/Hawaiian-Son-Music-Eddie-Kamae/dp/1883528283

Hawaiian Son : The Life And Music Of Eddie Kamae

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  6:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to find time to get back to a couple of Hawaiian mythology books I've picked up over the years:

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  6:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

Great book!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  06:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo,
I just ordered the Eddie Kamae from Amazon,
Mahalo Andy.
Some of the others--later...

but first, I need to order a heavy-duty bookshelf for my monstrous Hawaiian books, dvd's and the heavy Hawaiian coolectors stuff, preferably made from Koa. Current bookshelf is sagging!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 02/25/2018 06:28:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  2:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi, all --
I just started 'Shoals of Time', but it looks like it doesn't cover much modern history. Being an old leftie and briefly an ILWU member, I'm especially interested in the 1954 Democratic revolution.

Wikipedia has an overview here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Democratic_Revolution_of_1954

Anyone know of resources covering that?

Thanks,

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And nice link on 1954 Democratic revolution...good history to know...
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  09:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also reading this...
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  06:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another recent read:
Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy...by Sheryl Sandberg...
because sometimes Plan A is not an option.
Be thankful for the good days or moments, and remember, even if your day is totally Groovy, someone else's may not be, and we all need to practice...if not slack key, then
ALOHA!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/09/2018 06:21:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

tahitijack
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While "Hawaii" is fiction I think it is a good read to explain the culture and given the era of the time it was written I think it fair and somewhat balanced presentation of fictional "facts". You can easily find the people and companies which inspired the book and go from there for a deeper dive into factual history. For some of us the culture is woven into the songs of the islands. Thanks to IZ, the Brothers and others. Aloha

Happy Sunsets
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  09:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new answer: George Kahumoku's 20th anniversary photo collection.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000