Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 top reasons to visit Oahu...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  09:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While we've been through Oahu on our way to Maui camps, or our excellent Big Island Adventures...we have not spent real time there.
I know a longer stay will need some serious time and a copy of Oaha Revealed. But for now my short list includes:

the requisite Pearl Harbor Memorial, and the Iolani Palace.

Perhaps the North Shore...
But I;'m sure this is an un-enlightened list.

Oh, and seeing the new map of members markers, I'd certainly try for an Oahu Kanikapilas, I'd have to try to drop in on one of those!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 02/23/2018 09:03:20 AM

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  09:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leanard's Malasadas, Liliha Bakery, DUKE'S KANIKAPILA!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  6:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely gotta consider looking me up if you're passing through Honolulu. I'm always looking for excuses to organize another kanikapila. Taropatch members visiting from the mainland is one of my favorite excuses to hustle the usual suspects. You'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the unknown talent. Then we have the occasional celebrity sitting in, Led & his sisters, David Kaio, Ozzie, Peter Medeiros, Young Peter Moon, Mike Keale, Kevin Brown, Ben Kaili, Ramon Camarillo, Patrick Landeza, Doug Fitch are some of the guys who have joined us. But even if we only have the "amatuers" it's always super fun. The grinds are something to talk about also, right Kory?

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  11:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Definitely gotta consider looking me up if you're passing through Honolulu. I'm always looking for excuses to organize another kanikapila. Taropatch members visiting from the mainland is one of my favorite excuses to hustle the usual suspects. You'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the unknown talent. Then we have the occasional celebrity sitting in, Led & his sisters, David Kaio, Ozzie, Peter Medeiros, Young Peter Moon, Mike Keale, Kevin Brown, Ben Kaili, Ramon Camarillo, Patrick Landeza, Doug Fitch are some of the guys who have joined us. But even if we only have the "amatuers" it's always super fun. The grinds are something to talk about also, right Kory?

I have plans on visiting Hawaii in June 2019, if things pan out the right way.

So, if the offer stands for semi-random Aussies as well, consider this advance warning :D

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  06:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duke's kanikapila for sure.

Great Hawaiian music every night at the Kanikapila Grill. Serious gastronomy all around town, with a special interest in Chinatown.

Get over to the windward side, either around through Hawai`i Kai or over the Pali, either way is a spectactular trip. Once you're on the windward side you've got Honey's at the Ko`olau Golf Course, The Ko`olau - just staring up at those mountains from the windward side makes the trip worthwhile. Amazing Kailua Beach. Makapu`u Lighthouse trail, especially if it's whale season. Then head up to the North Shore through the country - the opposite of Waikiki in every way.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  08:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff,

If you get here in June 2019 you can definitely expect a kanikapila in your honor hosted by me, brah. AUTOMATIC!!

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  11:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider Kuahoa ranch in the windward side. Getting into Iolani Palace is tricky - times are inconsistent and you need to plan ahead; they limit the numbers. For sure, Bishop Museum; you can spend hours there. Also Moana Surfrider and Royal Hawaiian Hotel just to people watch. Check out the scheduled players at Kanikapila Grill; sometimes there are surprises. Also I think Jeff Peterson is a regular during the week someplace on Waikiki. Check with Duke for who's playing when you get there and be sure to do one of his kanikapilas; always interesting and fun. Practice your bobbing and weaving if you have to go to Waikiki; 50000 rude tourists. Finally - call Ozzie Kotani for a visit and lessons at his place.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2018 :  06:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Ideas and hospitality offers...
While there's no current plan in the works, it's all food for thought.
And of course the food places should be one priority.
And the drawing board starts with iDeas. (not associated with Apple)!
(sent from my iPhone).
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  05:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We visit Oahu the least often of the islands, but there was plenty to do there too. This thread covers a lot of my pre-trip inquiry and the post-visit report.
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11253&SearchTerms=waikiki

We also spent time walking around and riding Da Bus on a weekly pass. Riding the bus was good. I had a cane because of my (now replaced) knees, so we usually sat up front, and had wonderful chats with the aunties. Pronounce a few Hawaiian words properly and mention that you play ukulele and slack key guitar a bit and you are "in" - not just some random haole tourist. We actually missed our stops on a couple of occasions, being heavily into conversations.

We toured Fort DeRussy and Iolani Palace, the zoo, the aquarium near Queen Kapiolani Park, and snorkeled at the beach every morning before the crowds hit. Surprisingly, just inside the break water wall we saw almost as many critters as we usually see diving from a boat, except no honu. The lanai overlooking the park was our haven in the evenings, and I strummed a ukulele while watching the birds at the zoo and the surfers catching the waves.

As a former Navy man, it is odd that we've never made it to Pearl Harbor or the USS Arizona Memorial. Usually there is too much pre-planning involved to make it work, and we often have passed through Honolulu in mid-December.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  07:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shoots! Duke! Yoa grinds ony ONO! I use your Hawaiian salt/ garlic powder for my pork chops alla time, now!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000