Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Peter Moon passed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  5:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got the news from WDF. Peter Moon Passed at age 73. I only have one story. A few years ago I was asked to sit in a gig with Mike Young on Kauai. He was playing an old Takemine that he said was given to him by Peter Moon. He let me play it and I did "He Hawaii Au". Some kind of Mana for me.

Peter was gifted. Only a few musicians in Hawaii had as much impact.

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  2:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check under Peter Moon, and obituary in Honolulu Advertiser:
This is my cut and paste,
there's probably a better way to add the link...
but for now, all below is from Honolulu Advertiser obituary:

COURTESY OF BRETT UPRICHARD

Local musician and multiple Na Hoku Hanohano award winner Peter Moon died in February at the age of 73.

COURTESY FRANK ISAHARA

In 1970 Peter Moon started an annual Hawaiian music concert called Kanikapila at Andrews Amphitheater at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. The event ran until 1995 and provided a place for up-and-coming musicians and dancers to gain exposure.

1 / 2
PrevNext
ADVERTISING

Peter Moon, an ukulele virtuoso, businessman and composer who contributed to a revival of Hawaiian music in the 1970s, died Feb. 17. He was 73.

George Darby, president of Moon’s record label, Kanikapila Records, said Sunday that he did not know Moon’s cause of death and that the family already held a private funeral service. Moon’s family could not be reached for comment.

According to entertainment observers, Moon had been in a Honolulu care home for about a decade due to an illness. Kanikapila Records said Moon had not performed or been seen in public since 2005.

ADVERTISING

Moon was a self-taught ukulele and slack key guitar player and debuted on the album “Meet Palani Vaughan and the Sunday Manoa” in 1968.

He continued recording with Sunday Manoa, which by the early 1970s comprised himself and Robert and Roland Cazimero, to create three acclaimed albums of contemporary Hawaiian music: “Guava Jam,” “Cracked Seed” and “The Sunday Manoa 3.”

Darby said Moon’s early albums with the Cazimero brothers were the “wellspring (of) the Hawaiian Renaissance.”

John Berger, writing in “Hawaiian Music &Musicians: An Encyclopedic History,” said Moon was a major figure in the history of contemporary Hawaiian music.

“No individual made a bigger individual contribution to the music of the Hawaiian Renaissance than Peter Moon,” he wrote.

After Sunday Manoa split up, Moon formed the Peter Moon Band, which released its first album, “Tropical Storm,” in 1979. The album garnered five awards, including album of the year and group of the year, at the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards.

In 1970 Moon also started an annual Hawaiian music concert called Kani­kapila at Andrews Amphitheater at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. The event ran until 1995 and provided a place for up-and-coming musicians and dancers to gain exposure.

Moon started his own record label in 1982 and continued to release more albums with the Peter Moon Band until 2005. In the early 2000s he began teaching ukulele and slack key guitar. He was inducted into the Hawaiian Music Hall of Fame in 2007.

Moon, of Korean and Chinese descent, was born in Honolulu and graduated from Roosevelt High School and the University of Hawaii at Manoa in 1968 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.

He is survived by son Peter W.K. Moon and other family members.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/12/2018 2:14:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  3:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sad to hear the news.

There used to be a Youtube video of Peter Moon playing Maori Brown Eyes but it's been taken down. I loved watching that video.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  11:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Andy

I loved that video too. I stole a lot of licks from that rendition & plugged it into my YouTube version of "Maori Brown Eyes" Check it out, I'm sure you'll recognize some of the parts I kakaroached
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000