Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 quiet here lately (cricket sounds)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  10:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stop in multiple times everyday, Jack. Nothing to comment on so I just lurk for a minute then move on to greener pastures. Have no idea what would revive this place. CPR perhaps?

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  05:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reviving the activity around here requires something to talk about. My personal slack-key journey is pretty stable these days. I would love to learn more, but I have my hands full just maintaining my repertoire (slack-key and other fingerstyle) as it is.

I don't travel by air any longer, so flying to Aloha Camp or to George's camp is out for me. The best I can do is maybe one road trip a year over to Neej's for a house concert or kani, and a couple of other outings.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  12:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl! Let Slipry1 and me know next time you come Seattle side. Duke! Recipes, jokes, talk story li'dat.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  05:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will do thumbstruck. Most of our road trip time and energy is spent visiting mom in Phoenix a few times a year, while we still can. But we intend to get over your way at least once a year for a house concert & kani.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  8:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and add me to your Seattle plans, Earl. Also, there is always the chance I might hele out your way, too.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  08:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HELLOO out there! Nothing here but echoes and dust!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  12:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

HELLOO out there! Nothing here but echoes and dust!

Still checking in here regularly. Still plodding along with my guitar journey.

I'm getting excited about going to Hawaii for the first time. Only a month to go before we fly out. Looking forward to it, because we're heading into Winter here in Oz, and we had our first subzero celsius morning a couple of days ago. So, the idea of sitting on a beach in Hawaii, learning slack key is extremely inviting right now. So is the idea of being with other slackers. In nearly five years of learning ki ho'alu, I've only managed that once.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.

Edited by - Eynowd on 05/09/2019 12:34:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  04:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good on you! Be sure to get together with Duke!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2019 :  06:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm excited for you, Eynowd, and a little envious. You'll have a blast.

By this time next week I will be out of the shoulder brace and (finally) able to play again, at least in brief sessions. It's been a long time since the surgery, and the doc and PT won't let me play guitar or ukulele until the full eight weeks pass. So my guitar fix has been vicarious through forum participation.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2019 :  12:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Good on you! Be sure to get together with Duke!

Yep, I've already been in touch with Duke, and he said he was going to organise a kanikapila when I'm there.

I'm also trying to tee up a lesson with Ozzie, but I haven't heard anything on that front, so I don't know if that's going to happen or not.

Edited by - Eynowd on 05/11/2019 01:07:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2019 :  01:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

I'm excited for you, Eynowd, and a little envious. You'll have a blast.

Thanks, Earl. I certainly hope so. I should probably get in a bit more practice before we fly. I don't want to disgrace myself.

quote:

By this time next week I will be out of the shoulder brace and (finally) able to play again, at least in brief sessions. It's been a long time since the surgery, and the doc and PT won't let me play guitar or ukulele until the full eight weeks pass. So my guitar fix has been vicarious through forum participation.

Good to hear you'll be finally able to play again. It must have been really frustrating to not be able to play for that long. I hope you enjoy picking up an instrument again :)

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  04:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Geoff. Just a few more days..... then I get to polish my finger style repertoire almost from scratch. I am playing ukulele (with others) at a senior center luau on May 21, and need to get some chops back by then.

FWIW I did not have much luck connecting with Kumu Ozzie during my April 2015 visit to Oahu. He seems to be a busy guy.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  12:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Geoff. Just a few more days..... then I get to polish my finger style repertoire almost from scratch. I am playing ukulele (with others) at a senior center luau on May 21, and need to get some chops back by then.

Yikes! Given the timeframe involved, that sounds like a pretty big ask. I hope your muscle memory kicks in and you can remember them quickly.

quote:

FWIW I did not have much luck connecting with Kumu Ozzie during my April 2015 visit to Oahu. He seems to be a busy guy.

At this point, I'm not entirely hopefully I'll manage to catch up with Ozzie. Thankfully, that lesson would be a bonus, rather than the whole point of the trip, so if I don't manage to catch up with him, it won't be the end of the world. The window of opportunity is only relatively small (I'm only on Oahu for six nights).

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  08:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Eynowd,

If you do connect with Ozzie, make it worth the trip. Schedule 2 or 3 hours at least and go there with a plan on what you want to learn. If you do connect, let him know what you'd like to do in advance so that he can prepare. I always thought Ozzie shied away from doing videos, but when I was there he suggested it; I wasn't prepared. Video him if you can. Ozzie likes to "talk story". See if Duke can get in touch with him. Ozzie's place is a little hard to find.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  12:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie knows that talking story puts slack key in social and historical context. Background, influences, new ideas, etc. Great opportunity to dig deep! Also, check with Duke and Oz about meeting Peter Medeiros- another resource and historical link.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000