Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Auntie Alice Namakelua - Paniolo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  07:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Claudia

the notes on the LP for Paniolo Slack Key say the following: "On this recording she plays two series of different slack key figures on two guitars in counterpoint...with the ukulele strummed in the correct way to accompany slack key"

Thanks, Claudia, I wish I'd held on to my copy of the LP.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  11:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have mostly worked this out on a 5-string fiddle tuned CFCFC. More shaded to "Ka Manu", although Iʻll have to play it a few more [hundred] times before I can sing with it....

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  07:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even though I love playing around in G Wahine, I'm figuring out "Paniolo Slack Key" in taropatch, because I don't want to retune between songs in my medley. The notes are all there, but doing it Auntie's way is sure a lot more convenient (grin).

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  1:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Claudia

the notes on the LP for Paniolo Slack Key say the following: "On this recording she plays two series of different slack key figures on two guitars in counterpoint...with the ukulele strummed in the correct way to accompany slack key"

So what is the correct way to strum a ukulele to accompany slack key?

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  11:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by Eynowd
So what is the correct way to strum a ukulele to accompany slack key?

Geoff, I would guess the "correct way to strum an ukulele to accompany slack key" would just be something simple & rhythmic that does not take attention from the lead slack key guitarist. An ukulele theoretically in equivalent to the "2nd positions" we use in slack key. Therefore it should never clash with a slacker playing in the first position or 3rd.

In proper slack key etiquette with mutliple guitars, if the lead slack key guitarist is playing in the first position then accompaniment should be played in the 2nd or 3rd positions (octaves)If the lead is in the 2nd position then accompaniment is played in the 1st or 3rd....etc. This way the accompanying player doesn't muddy up the water. The objective is to enable the listener to hear distinctly what the lead is guitarist is playing with as little distraction as possible.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  09:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke! Using different tunings for each guitar, using a capo, etc, can help to give each guitar a different voice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000