Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 R.I.P. Cyril
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  10:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cyril passed away a few hours ago.

"I have no recollection of that"

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  11:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw that story linked to over on Aunty Wanda's Mele Monday page.

Godspeed, Uncle Cyril. Mahalo for your music.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  07:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A sad day for Hawai'i. Rest in Aloha, Cyril.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  07:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha `oe Cyril...Mahalo Kawika for the heads up.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  09:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for everything Uncle Cyril. RIP, and jam plenty with your dad again.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  10:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Was sad to read the news this morning. Grateful to have seen Uncle Cyril perform many times. And have fond memories of taking him and Chelle to visit The Dakota and Strawberry Fields in Central Park on his last visit to New York City.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2018/11/18/legendary-hawaiian-musician-cyril-pahinui-dies/

Andy
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  3:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a couple of workshops from Cyril and even jammed a bit with him. He was a great talent and good kumu. He will be missed.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  4:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a great loss...we are saddened and missing him. We will cherish the memories, especially of times shared at George's camp, and even a ride with him from airport shuttle to camp.
Karen's playing Cyril's songs now.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/18/2018 4:52:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  05:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Late in 2002, Patrick Landeza and Uncle C came to stay with me in San Diego; they were doing a fund raiser for Hui O Hawaii, a local club. The airlines had lost his luggage, including his guitar. We had to get him clothes and loan him a guitar. He was diabetic and they also had lost his medicine. My wife, a nurse and also a diabetic, got him insulin and got him back on track. He was here for 4 days. A few weeks later, Uncle C was touring with Dennis Kamakahi and Cindy Combs and we flew up to Chico CA to see them. Before Cyril started playing, he announced to the crowd that his personal nurse, Mary, was in the audience and we got an ovation. We had the good fortune to host Cyril at our home a few times over the years and he will always be a major part of why I play Hawaiian music. Mahalo Uncle C. A hui hou.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000