Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Kanilea Guitalele
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  10:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking about getting a Kanilea Guitalele; baritone size with a classical guitar neck and six strings, 23.5 inch scale. Any of you Uke guys every play one? I've watched the Youtube videos. Since I play slack key tunings on my Martin tenor, I'm intrigued, but they're pretty pricey and I'll have to order one or go to Kauai to get one; I'm headed there next March. Any thoughts?

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  8:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried the Kanilea guitalele, but I do have a Cordoba Mini-M guitalele that I play slack key on (in fact, I played a solo performance of Hapuna Sunset on it this afternoon at my local uke group).

I'm really fond of it, and it's a lot of fun to play.

So, if the Kanilea one is anything like mine - and I would actually expect it to be better, if anything - then I would say, "go for it!"

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  06:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen Led play one years ago. Sounded cool, but anything Led does sounds cool. It's an interesting instrument. The other end of the guitar spectrum is baritone guitar, another neat idea. Too many tunes, no moa nuff time!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  08:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,
I have a Mele Guitarlele (from Maui), which I like but rarely play. It is easy to play but it still sounds like an `ukulele - very little sustain and "plinky" sounding. They're not cheap. My advice to you is to play before you buy. I don't know where to look in our area anymore, so maybe you should wait for Kaua`i.

I have a video of Led playing it. I don't have permission to post it. If you are going to the So Cal Slack Key festival in January, I can let you see the video or If you like I can bring the instrument.

Good luck.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  9:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howzit Terry

I've played a couple of Yamaha guitaleles & a high end one (don't recall the brand name) and they didn't impress me. Like Dusty said "Very little sustain & plinky sounding" That has been my exerience too. I also don't care much for the intonation. Seems like these instruments are right on the cusp of having intonation issues.

I would suggest you take a look at a requinto. The body is nearly as big as a Taylor GS Mini & the fretboard is very playable. Guitalele frets get uncomfortably narrow way up the neck. Ozzie has a requinto that is a very nice instrument. His was designed by Jeff Linsky ( who I've had the honor of jamming with once) Check out Jeff in his "Wizard of Oz medley" on a requinto. Then you can see the potential of the instrument. BTW, the video was recorded about 20 years ago at the University of Hawaii.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl_KMjHB4n4

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  09:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys. Thanks for the info. Thanks, Duke, for the link; that is an impressive instrument, but I have no idea where to look for one. I've abandoned my quest for a guitalele. A Kanilea is $2K; just too much for a questionable upgrade. I played a slightly used Taylor 812E last week for about the same price. I'll stick with my Martin Ukulele for now and maybe get a GS Mini. Ozzie seems to like them a lot. Couldn't ask for a better reference. In reality, it's just a GAS issue for me. I have lots of good stuff now; why would I want anything else?

Edited by - chunky monkey on 12/10/2018 09:55:20 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000