Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 report on Aloha Music Camp?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  12:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that AMC is over (ended March 09) do we have any reports or comments? I know that several folks here went, but the chatter has been pretty quiet.

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  4:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Camp was very good, lots of stuff. Came back with a cough, wll add more to this news in a coupla days...

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"

Edited by - Maliko on 03/18/2019 4:46:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  09:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha - Aloha Music Camp 2019 was tremendous! So much fun was had by all. This was our 6th year at the Courtyard by Marriott Coconut Beach in Kapa'a on Kaua'i and the terrific staff there always makes it feel like home. We had a big camp with 14 Kumu teaching daily classes in every level of slack key guitar, chant, Hawaiian language, 'ukulele, Hawaiian crafts, lei-making, 'ukulele-building, hula, steel guitar and our newest addition: bass. It was windy and a little on the "cool" side, but no matter! Monday night is Kumu Night, where the Kumu individually perform and hold us all spellbound. Tuesday night is the Open Mic Night for any camper who wants to show us what they've been up to. Wednesday night is the Beamer 'Ohana performance. Thursday night is the Lu'au, where all the Kumu perform together along with special local drop-in's like Mike Keale and Kupaoa. Friday night, all the classes perform their pieces that they had been working on all week. Kanikapilas sprout up wherever all week long. I've been a camper since 2007 and the AMC Administrator since 2015 - we have many campers that have been going annually for over 10 years, but we also have new campers (geckos...or green dots...) who we love to fold into the gang! If you have any questions, I am happy to field them.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  11:20:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Claudia! I am so jealous. We went to three camps, two on Molokai and the last one was in 2009 on Hawaii Island (Keahou).

Life circumstances have intervened since, not the least of which is my complete anathema to flying. After more than 900K business and personal air miles over the years, along with all the issues and frustrations that you would expect, I'm just done with airlines. Even something truly wonderful like AMC is not enough "reward". So I now have to live vicariously through these reports.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  04:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl! Try to contact any ki ho'alu artists coming through your area (ukulele and steel, etc also) and see if they would do a workshop. Connect with local halau, check for any festivals. If that doesn't work, Skype!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  05:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good suggestion, Thumbs, and I surely would if I could. We saw George Kahumoku (with Nathan and Kawika) perform here on FEB 28. Jake Shimabukuro played on March 12, and stops in every other year or so. We are fairly well plugged in with the local island community, so I doubt that anything is slipping past me.

Most artists just pass through Boise on their way to somewhere else, like between Portland and Salt Lake City or Denver. Or they stay on the coast and don't come this far inland. We get very few ki hoalu shows locally (true for big name rock acts too). I have reached out to some artists when learning of Portland shows, but by the time I hear about a show their tour is already booked and there is little interest in a side trip / extra date. I've even offered our guest room and to organize a local workshop or house concert on their behalf.

Except for becoming a concert promoter (not an option) it isn't clear what else I could do..... We have a couple of really nice ~900 seat rooms around here that would be perfect, and some smaller venues too.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  09:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl- get in touch with Patrick Landeza. He might be a good go-to guy for this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000