Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian Son...The life and music of Eddie Kamae:
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  11:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
written by James D. Houston with Eddie Kamae.

I finally found my "new" copy, buried in my stacks of stuff.
If you haven't read this...well please find it...
Main topic is Eddie Kamae. But in the telling of his story and EDdie's transformation into an epicenter of the Hawaiian renaissance, It covers a plethora of events, aspects, history, and important people;

i.e. His meeting up with Gabby, Auntie Mary Kawena Pukui, and the whole backstory to Sons of Hawaii, Sam Li'a Kalainaina, Sonny, Uncle Dennis etc.
In fact, it was Uncle Dennis who mentioned this book when I was asking about Sam Li'a, his violin and Sam's songwriting.
Not done with reading...but it's recommended highly!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/29/2019 11:52:29 AM

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  07:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am reading my copy of that book. At the most-recent George Kahumoku camp, Kevin Brown heard that I had been working on "Kanaka Waiolina" (the tune Uncle Dennis wrote to present to Sam Li'a), and he urged me to perform it (my first performance if it) at the open mike at camp. Kevin and Sonny Lim backed me up. URL...

https://youtu.be/LVE5DQnRD30

Kevin and Sonny sang the verses and I sang the hui (slight stumbling there). Fiddling somewhat simple, it and the singing will improve over time. Bit I did it.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  1:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maliko

I am reading my copy of that book. At the most-recent George Kahumoku camp, Kevin Brown heard that I had been working on "Kanaka Waiolina" (the tune Uncle Dennis wrote to present to Sam Li'a), and he urged me to perform it (my first performance if it) at the open mike at camp. Kevin and Sonny Lim backed me up. URL...

https://youtu.be/LVE5DQnRD30

Kevin and Sonny sang the verses and I sang the hui (slight stumbling there). Fiddling somewhat simple, it and the singing will improve over time. Bit I did it.

I remember that performance, Mark, and thought you did a good job of it! It was a good vibe that night, and everyone seemed quite appreciative of everyone who got up and performed.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000