Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 is this forum wilted?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  12:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would love trying new tunings if they were accompanied with tabs or, at the least, the name of a popular tune that can be played in said tuning.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  7:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Aloha e Chunky, et al... :-)

I also check everyday but do not post very often.

I too, will not touch FB, not even with a 10,000 foot pole! (which is about the distance from me to Zucks's Palo Alto houses).

"Taropatch Dying" threads have re-appeared several times over the last few years. As long as Andy keeps the server going there will be someone who posts at least every once in a while!

TaroPatch will Never Die. Lawrence, I miss you brother! It's been several years since we've been in the same place.

I too, often check in, and lurk. It's simply because I love this site, Andy, and everyone associated. I miss my Ohana, and friends. Several of us have been dealt life changing blows in the last few years. It makes it hard to keep the Aloha when you're dealing with crap.
That said... I go here to reconnect. To see and read what my fellow Taro Patcher's are doing. It gives me love, Aloha, strength and insight to my Friends.

John, Julie, Terry (Chunky Monk!) Andy, and everyone else... I know we miss each other. Times well spent. Hell, even Keith! It's tough growing apart.

That said... you'all mentioned above, along with Giants, re-kindled the entire Kiho'alu catalog for many.

I have only profound Aloha for each and every member of this Site.

Mike in Santa Cruz..........Liko Puha, you listening Brother?

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  7:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further on a theme.....I just looked in the 'member area' and realized 'RJS' 'Sarah' and 'Reid' all haven't posted for almost 10 years. Think about that!
I just listed 3 of the most prolific posters from 2004, that have disappeared from this site. It was so different then.

Reid and Sarah pontificated on anything and everything Hawaiian... with excellent results! Sarah on language, Reid on technical matters. Raymond, RJS, had cutting commentary on all things stringed musical instrument....It was beautiful!

They're not here. Why Not? Hrummmph! Admiral Nelson (John) keeps in touch occasionally, so that's fabulous. John is to this day my go to Idol for fingerstyle. If I had half his talent, I'd be a star!

Anyway... I'm obviously attempting to add to this site to keep things going.

We've a LOT of REGULARS here, let's hear from YOU! What do/did/hope/ you Love about Andy's site? We are coming on 20 years here.

Make yourselves known! I'm keenly aware that several thousands of us are reading this. Life can be a bitch, war is hell, but that doesn't mean we can't come together and celebrate Aloha?

Much Aloha my Ohana
Mike in Santa Cruz
s

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  06:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha, Mike!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  08:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even Duke is mostly on FB detailing his keto stuffs. Life's plate lunch stay too big foa da plate us guys get... Too bad, but nothing so constant as change. Music, aloha, human interaction will outlast "social kine media". I still play some tunes I learned from my Grandfather (different genre, but still relevant to me), still yet get to play in the Hawaiian community in this area, and have folks I "coach" for ki ho'alu. We can't give up!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  7:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Mike! We've never met except here thru da 'patch, but all slackers are kindred spirits, with common interests. Like many others here I don't / won't do FB.

We attended the winter Aloha Camp three times (2006, 2007, 2009) back when we lived in Alaska. One of the many personal highlights was playing an impromptu duet with Sarah at our first one at Kaupoa, Moloka'i. I was still quite new at the slack key thing but learning zealously. We doubled on one of the Ozzie tunes from his book (wish I could remember which one) and it was magical - she made me sound good. The last I recall reading here, Reid was having bad arthritis issues in his hands and had to stop playing - even ukulele. Time marches on....

Life circumstances got in the way and prevented us going to further camps (I'll spare you the long and grim "organ recital" and will only say that I am still here and playing ki ho'alu). We miss going to camp terribly, but I am pretty allergic to airline travel these days, so I will likely never see the islands again. We get over to Neeej's place about once a year for kani and/or a show, driving over from our home in Idaho. That is the best we can do these days. That and browsing here daily, even if I don't post. Taro Patch is important to me, and it would be very sad if it were not here.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2020 :  6:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get email from Reid and Sarah once in a while. Reid had to give up playing for health reasons. Sarah teaches Hawaiian at Yale and is daily communicating in Hawaiian with others. Neither is playing anymore and I think Reid unloaded most of his guitars. Reid has made the natural transition from Slack Key to Quantum Mechanics. I'm looking forward to that.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2020 :  7:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

mpi 50, I been working on playing in C while in plain ol' G Taropatch. Plenny tunes can be played in C in G tuning, but cannot play'em in G. Funny, ya?

Hey Kory, what do you end up playing for the alternating bass notes when playing in C? Do you end up fretting them all?

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff - try looking at my YouTube video of tunes played in C in G Taropatch. It's easier to play some tunes in C that way. Easy to get a vamp - D,G,C, when I play an F on the lowest string, I found that the middle D string can be played - an F6 sound.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  5:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/L45qDE6zlfU in G and C in G Taropatch.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  10:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! Life gets in the way so I haven't popped in here for a long time. Too long, really!

I'm not sure if this place should be updated, just leave it as is, or...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  06:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep this forum going. One thing it offers that facebook does not is "persistence". One can look for and find old stuff.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  10:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

https://youtu.be/L45qDE6zlfU in G and C in G Taropatch.

I am impressed, I did not know about playing in C and G as you showed us. I'm going to dig into this. You mo shaka den shaka!!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  2:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the idea from Leonard Kwan and his tuning: CGDGBD and learned to play some of his tunes from the "red album" in Taropatch. I also realized that the early steel players played in taropatch and would play in G and C (or A and D - in early recordings the guitars and ukulele were tuned up a whole step to brighten the tone).
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2020 :  8:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Fellow Taropatchers,

Used to check in daily for the last decade or so. Haven't done so in probably a month or maybe even 2. I always have hope that activity here will pick up again. This site will always have a special place in my heart. Met a bunch of livelong friends here & for that I am forever grateful.

Don't give up on the site people. You never know who's lurking here or if something fruitful will drop in your lap from just checking in. Bumped into Ozzie today. Probably haven't seen him in close to 2 years.What's sad about it is that Ozzie's door is always open for me yet my dumb ass can't find the time. I only have ONE day off per week so I try to devote that to my mo'opuna. Haven't been teaching lately although there are folks here itchy to learn......As it's been mentioned a few times in this thread "Life gets in the way" One thing to keep in mind though is that Oz mentioned Taropatch in his conversation with me today. He said he's sad that there's very little activity here now days. BUT......he still visits the site a couple of times a week!!!!

Much love & aloha TP Ohana
Duke

BTW, today I decided to host a kanikapila this coming Sunday. We're all in need of that fellowship.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000