Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Spread Aloha
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  10:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm here and with COVID-19 rearing its ugly head; let's face it the majority of us are senior citizens. I'm sending all the Aloha that I can possibly muster at my advanced age (69). Thank you all for your wisdom, humor and candor. You are all in my prayers. Let’s spread Aloha, not COVID-19. Post music for all to enjoy, not just the song, include the real you. Laugh until you cry. It cleanses the soul.

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2020 :  1:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And much Aloha back to you! Trying times to be sure. Love and Light everyone !

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2020 :  08:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Gary and Mike!!!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2020 :  07:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Playing music on the phone, cooking stuff, reading, watching great videos - almost like a vacation....
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  08:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been crushed with my engineering work for the last two weeks - purely by chance. I even worked most of Saturday to get some draft reports out to clients. But now that this batch of work is done, I'm catching up on busy work at my home office. My wife is working part time from home as well, helping with crisis management with her former office. She is technically retired, but it is "all hands on deck" to keep projects moving along.

Now I'm playing some guitar too as time permits. It's a good chance to refresh all my slack-key repertoire. Next I will break out some of the instructional DVD's from the shelf and start learning some more tunes. So far we're doing well [fingers crossed] walking the neighborhood or riding our bikes around every day for fresh air and exercise.

Surprisingly my regular 6-month checkup is still "on" for Friday morning. Being in a higher risk category, I really expect to get a call canceling the routine doctor visit. His office is in the hospital building, so it is a little risky just going there.

Avoid the doom-and-gloom media as much as possible, and much aloha to all!

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  09:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl - eat garlic, apple cider vinegar (good burps), get plenty of sleep. MUSIC IS HEALTHY, also!
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Das how us guys do em. Jus liddat! Spread da aloha, braddas.
If I was skilled enough, I would personally write and and compose a song for this trying time, like Kaulana Kawaihae, a place that existed long ago, a fishing village wiped out by a tidal wave, if I'm not mistaken. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  11:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

Aloha Gary and Mike!!!

Aloha, all you guys. We stay tough kine buggas, no can break us, das right! Even us futless ol' futs still going strong, Paulele i ke Akua, Trust God.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  1:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

After having played Slack Key Guitar (in a mediocre fashion) for nearly 30 years, I can not use my fretting hand without tremendous pain, so I have taken a break for the last several years.

In the meantime I have become a DJ on an all volunteer station, KKUP, that has been on the air since 1972. I am fortunate enough to host a Hawaiian Music Show (7AM-10AM PST Fridays - KKUP.ORG), and have invited many of my Hawaiian Music friends to appear on the show.

I have recorded them and have posted videos onto YouTube.
(Have also posted videos of other "folk" music performers as well.)

Here are a few of the Hawaiian videos, along with an old pop tune you might remember (from the 60's British Invasion):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqfBMAdmhgc&list=PL2XWu8s3mdkSX_CTHP-407hRk59wNLjTC

A famous old pop tune by the composer- Summer Song- Jeremy Clyde:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufUriU5dkW4

I put a lot of effort into the Audio Mix and Video for each one, so I hope you enjoy them! (No can play these days but still can mix and edit)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/25/2020 2:31:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  1:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

Aloha Gary and Mike!!!

Dusty! Good to see you pop up again! Much Aloha !

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  09:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lawrence - now is the opportunity to learn steel guitar - kika kila.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  06:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Lawrence - now is the opportunity to learn steel guitar - kika kila."

Yes... the thought has crossed my mind.

But it would take me at least a couple of weeks to get to the level of good ol' Sol Ho'opi'i or better than Jerry Douglas... yes??

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  06:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lawrence,you already understand how music works and have dexterity. All you have to do is start. You will never be as good as you want - your ear will always be ahead of your ability. You will always have more to learn, but you won't do it unless you start. Led told me that he always listens and watches his students because "they might know something I don't."
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FWIW I was having some serious hand aches a few years ago - I could see the potential end of my long time fingerstyle playing in the distance. So I bought a cheap square neck resonator guitar, in case I was forced to take up slide at some point. (I play some slide already on a round neck, so that is in no way a dig at slide playing). I tuned it in familiar taro patch instead of regular Dobro G [GBDGBD] and noodled with it for a few months. But I never put in the effort to really learn Dobro style.

Fortunately a combination of getting wheat out of my diet, controlling my blood sugar better, and some regular gentle hand exercises have kept me playing. My hands are a little stiffer than they used to be, but I can still play at ~95% of my former skill level.

Savor every day behind the guitar!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  12:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl, Taropatch is the original steel tuning in G. It was moved up to A in the early days of recording to get a brighter sound. High G -GBDGBD, allows ,ore harmonic possibilities. Slipry1 showed me C6 -CEGACE and that is yet another world. Don't quit tinkering. It's all money in the musical bank.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000