Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Leonard Kwan: Slack Key Instruction Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  5:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Out of print" and "Copywrite Expired" are not the same thing. Check with a lawyer before you start selling reprints of the book. You might check with the publisher to see if they have plans to reissue it, or if they still have the rights.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  06:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tetapu

if something is "out of print", then it can legally be copied, isnt that right?

Not unless it was published without a copyright notice, in which case it's in the public domain. Otherwise it's still protected by law for 85 years after the publication date if it was published before 1977 or 70 years after the death of the author if it was published after 1977.

In this particular case, the book was published in 1980 and the copyright is registered to Margaret V. Williams-Tufft (owner of Tradewinds Recordings, the publisher). The current owner of the copyright remains a mystery but has been discussed here before:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2000

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 03/19/2010 06:36:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  6:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone is interested there is a copy that is up for bid on ebay.
Item number: 280666123815
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  06:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any recommendations on where to pick up a Red Book at a reasonable price? (Only one I can find has a $75 asking price).

thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  01:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Set an alert for yourself on Ebay. Every time the Red Book comes on, you will get a notice and the price will vary. I bought mine in 2006 and I paid $50 for it - worth so much more. IMHO you should jump on it before the price sails past $100. Guarantee that it will. So many things related to slack key go out-of-print - I try to grab things as I come across them and have zero regrets.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  04:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto everything that Claudia said. They don't come up very often, and command high prices. I have one, but it isn't for sale. If it -
or anything else in my slack key library ever does -- I will announce it here.
Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  3:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A copy of The Slack Key Intruction Book is for sale at Amazon for $949.82 as of 9/5/2019,
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2019 :  5:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's too much. Absurd...Wait, or as the old slack key song says, "you better shop around!"
I paid about $50 on eBay.., maybe in 2010...and felt,
"oh what the Pele".

But $900...Go to Pele, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Aloha? Pirates don't practice real aloha.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000