Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Keola Beamer: The Art of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  12:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  3:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great teaching video. Keola, with his gentle humor and style, shows you not only 7 lovely songs -- several of which he wrote -- but he tells some history and anecdotes, and addresses some of the technical things he advocates, such as guitar and hand positioning and fretting-finger exercises.

Keola assumes you know how to play guitar, and he assumes that you are accustomed to standard tuning (which he uses as a reference point). The video is not, in my opinion, for the beginner. However, I got it as a beginner, and each time I watched it I learned something -- saw something -- new, that I wasn't far enough along to grasp before, so I reckon there is something in it for everyone.

The pieces are lovely: a wonderful introduction to his (almost signature) F wahine tuning. I discovered that one of the beauties of this tuning is that it has a wide range, going from C on the 6th string to E on the 1st (CFCGCE).

The video comes with tab for each song, and the tab is the kind where "real" musical notation runs above each line of tab. This helps greatly with figuring out the timing of the pieces.

The Keola originals on this video are "Manu Kai" and "Makika".

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  10:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is now available on DVD as well!

http://www.homespuntapes.com/prodpg/prodpg.asp?prodID=98

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got the DVD and it is surely a "must have" for anyone interested in Keola's music and slack key in general. Especially for those people who already have shown interest by buying the VHS tapes: get this and give the tape to a potentially interested friend.

The DVD overcomes almost all of the sequential problems with the tape because of the navigation options. The DVD has 3: 1. Play (like the tape); 2. Song Menu so you can go directly to the song you are interested in; AND, most importantly, 3. Chapter Point Menu.

Keola's didactic approach on the recording was to include as many topics as he could (history, tunings, various techniques and songs) and to bring these topics up in the context of a song. For instance, if a song used chimes, he stops the song and shows how chimes are created. A very valid aproach that maintains interest, especially for malihini. However, if you were trying to learn a song, the interruptions became frustrating because the tape is a sequential medium and you had to sit and wait, or fast forward clumsily, until the tape got to the part you were really interested in. Now, with this last menu, you can go directly to exactly what you want to view, and then, perhaps freeze, loop, or slow down. So, in addition to topics like History, Right Hand Strokes, etc., you have things like "Ku`u Lei Awapuhi Melemele", "Ku`u Lei Awapuhi Melemele Broken Down", "Ku`u Lei Awapuhi Melemele Played Slowly". Really helpful.

The only unfortunate navigational issue is that "Return" only gets you back to the Main Menu and then you have to navigate back into one of the menu trees - it doesn't bring you back to where you were when you made the last selection.

In addition, as expected, the video quality is much superior to the tape and, NOT expected, the sound quality is superior to the tape - so good that I think that it is superior to the CD versions. Anyway, IMHO, Keola is even more impressive in performance than he is in the studio, so that may have something to do with it.

Of course, you get the tabs and standard notation for each song.

I think that it says something that Homespun chose Keola's recording as one of its first 20, or so productions, to remaster and convert to DVD. He, and Ki Ho`alu, must be selling quite well - Maika`i no!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  5:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just picked up the dvd and was suprised to find it had the transcription to He Punahele. My old vhs didnt include that one.Just curious, did the vhs copies you purchased incIude it? I did buy the vhs when it was first published so its an early copy.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  12:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My VHS tab includes Punahele...in fact, it looks like it's the exact same tab booklet that comes with the DVD. (I bought the VHS around 2 years ago, I think.)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  09:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keola's DVD is a great! It's perfect for someone who wants to learn more about Ki'ho alu or for someone who just wants to expand their collection of songs. The song's are technically not too difficult for an experienced player because they do require someone to be somewhat familiar with the guitar, e.g. I am new to slack key but I have been playing guitar for several years. That being said, I don't think its impossible for a beginner because the video and tab are so detailed and I would call it a "must have" for anyone's learning library. Some techniques covered include: slurs (hammer ons/off), natural harmonics, artificial harmonics, 4 fret licks (which is some of the more challenging stuff), etc. Keola also gives some exercises that will surely improve anyones playing. Of course, DVD is outstanding because of the inherent benefits of the menu, viewing only certain songs/teaching points easily, etc. I found the tab to be is accurate (although he admits he changes things up almost everytime he plays and tries to stay true to the tab) and the video nicely details the left and right hand work. My only wish is that I had a CD of the tunes so I could play them on my stereo or the car because they are beautiful.

Keone

Edited by - Keone on 03/29/2005 09:18:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  10:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Currently 39% off at overstock.com:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1477517

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dang! Never thought to look at that site ...
Oh, well -- worth the full price, anyway. :)
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  2:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Craig! This is one of the first instructional things I bought, but in VHS and I have been wanting the DVD for convenience for a while. When I ordered there were just 2 left according to the site.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  06:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now sold out.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  08:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in stock. Overstock usually restocks items that sell.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  10:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And out again!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  7:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An old thread but Homespun videos has a sale right now for $15.00 downloadable. Sale ends midnight April 20 (not sure what timezone).
http://www.homespuntapes.com/shop/product.aspx?ID=1105

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  06:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Don't forget that you can purchase this DVD directly from the source for a perfectly reasonable $29.95:
http://www.kbeamer.com/?q=node/22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000