Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style Vol 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  03:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
DVD II is available but the link on the website needs to be updated. Hopefully it'll be up in the next 2 weeks and Ozzie will post here when it's been done.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  08:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know where its available, Andy?? or should I wait for the posting? Chip
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to send you on a wild goose chase, chip. That was the site where I got mine when it first came out. Sounds like Andy has more current info.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  4:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All!
My second DVD is now available from my website ozziekotani.com as of this morning. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have about it. There are about 75 units left of this limited edition. Thank you for supporting my efforts to perpetuate slack key over the years - I greatly appreciate all the input students have given me as I continue to learn and play.
Aloha!
Ozzie

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ozzie,

I received my DVD and have watched it a couple times already. Wow, excellent stuff. Thanks for giving so much of yourself to us. I learn more each day for your teachings. Mahalo nui loa.

You da man.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  5:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear John,

Thanks for the kind message and I'm glad the DVD has a lot to offer. I'm hoping that by sharing how I play and what I learned will ensure that the tradition continues and in the process, that slack key maintains an identity instead of melting away into the realm of just playing in an an alternate tuning. Let me know if you have any questions and mahalo nui loa for the feedback.

Aloha,

Ozzie

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Mike A
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  11:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anywhere this is sold on Oahu? I am part of the need it now generation.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  5:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

There were only 200 copies printed so I didn't distribute to any outlets. You're welcome to come visit me at the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts/Hawaii State Art Museum where I work full-time as Registrar M-F - just gimme a call.

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Mike A
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  06:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Ozzie. I ended up ordering from the website. Let the excitement build!
Go to Top of Page

ted andersen
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  1:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ted andersen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

For anyone who has watched this DVD,which tunings are used? Is it mostly Taro Patch (G), or no?
(I'm a beginner, in just Open G so far, and thus wondering).

Mahalo--Ted
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the 'Patch, Ted.The first DVD deals with Taropatch. The second, I haven't started on the second yet. Ozzie also has a book/CD package that has several songs in taropatch, plus a couple in dropped C and double slack. These tunings are only one note away from taropatch, and are probably the logical next steps.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  09:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second DVD is mostly G Taropatch (DGDGBD) with a few beautiful Drop C (CGDGBD) songs.

His version of Makee 'Ailana is a treat in varied bass fingerings.

The section on vibrato is right on the mark and once you listen carefully is as distinctively "Ozzie" as Keola's arpeggios are famous.

The "hidden gem" is Kimo (Henderson) Hula (in Drop C) as a bonus track at the very end. A long song with many chordal variations on the basic melody. There is no tab for this one so you have to watch and learn. I found it easier to have a chord sheet of the melody in the key of C Major. Listen to George Helm sing this one and the melody grows on you. Then I noticed that Ozzie was playing the basic chords in several positions on the neck and adding very nice 9ths and transition notes to support the melody line. There are lots of "Ozzie Chords" in this one. You will watch this one for hours and learn much more than you expect.

C F G7 F C
Aia i ka u-ka o Pi'ihonu-a
E7 Am (Gm) C
Ke kihapai pua ulumahiehi---e
F G7 C Am
I laila au la 'ike i ka nani
G D G C
O na pua 'ala a he nui wale

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

ted andersen
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  12:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit ted andersen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thank you, Mika ele! (Time to "pull the trigger" and order)

Yes!
Go to Top of Page

ashaw953
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  07:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this thread is a bit cold, but I thought I would mention that I just received my copy of Vol. II (Ozzie has them back in stock now) along with his CD "Ho'ihi". What a treat! I've barely gotten into the DVD, but I can tell it will be a real help -- I think I am at the right stage in my learning to appreciate this. The CD has several of the tunes from the DVD on it, so listening to it (as I have been nearly constantly since I received it!) is a good way to get the tunes into your head if they are not already familiar melodies.

I'm looking forward to spending many hours with this!!

Aloha,

-- andy --
-- san rafael, ca --
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2021 :  12:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ordering volume 2 today. After reading this thread, I really wish I was involved with Slack Key back when everyone was on this site and contributing so much BUT Mahalo to you all and especially to Andy for keeping the site up. I find it sooo valuable and fun. Ron

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000